Thread: Positive stories

Positive stories

Dear all,

I am currently at a really low ebb. I suffer from depression/anxiety/OCD/agoraphobia and the list goes on. I have recently been started on an MAOI to help but I feel utterly hopeless. I struggle to do anything and everything.

What I wanted to ask was if anyone has managed to overcome similar struggles and what helped them achieve it? I feel this forum needs a bit of optimism so any response would be fantastic!

Thanks again,

Catriona

Re: Positive stories

Take a look at our sucesses part of the forum

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Thanks for the heads up!

Hi Catriona,

I had CBT and didn't get very far with my GAD & OCD. My therapist introduced me to Mindfulness and after a couple of months it 'clicked' with me and my GAD started reducing and my OCD rituals started melting away.

After this I could then start to work on my OCD rituals that remaining which I couldn’t do before. To date, most have gone completely, the intrusive thoughts are mostly gone but if appear they float through without reaction or with dismissal or sometimes amusement at how daft they are.

After 6+ months of daily Mindfulness meditation I suddenly noticed a shift in attitude and felt more compassionate & positive.

Prior to this I had a breakthrough with it. I was out walking on a nice summer day and crossed over an old disused bridge over an overgrown stream. I suddenly felt the need to sit down, smell the smells, watch & listen to the birds & other noises, feel the grass between my fingers and I suddenly felt free & happy. I had it a couple of days the same and I can't tell you how good it felt.

Since then I have a sort of lower level version of it where I feel free despite symptoms.

I've also had a breakthrough moment that got rid of my nausea symptoms. I had a sickness bug and without trying, when I first legged it to the bathroom (for obvious reasons, I'll leave it at that) I had thoughts that appeared that said "so this is what nausea feels like, not what I was feeling before". Since then, it’s gone.

I still have loads to deal with yet with my GAD but less so with OCD now which is more about obsessions that rituals.

I have nothing any more, but never did have HA, OCD or Depression, with me it was strictly anxiety and Agoraphobia and panic attacks.
    Terry is the one for OCD.

Thread Information