Thread: I got a job offer....and cue anxiety!

I got a job offer....and cue anxiety!

I have a tendency to get wordy, but I'll keep this short and sweet. Input and advice is welcome!

I'm currently studying business, and trying to decide what field of business I want to go into. I've been looking for a part time job to make some money, but I've been picky in that I want it to be something business-related so I can gain some real experience.

I've put in applications all semester, have had a few interviews and some people that never called me back. Last week alone I put in a lot of applications.

Yesterday I went in for an interview and today they called and asked me if I wanted the job (the call went to voicemail so I have a couple of days to decide). The position is one in which I would be helping to plan/execute conferences and events, like freshman orientation at the college. It sounds like a lot of fun, and the people are very nice.

My hangup is that I don't really want to go into event planning. It sounds like an interesting career, but I feel as though I'd have to live somewhere more densely populated to find a job - and I'd like to live in as small of a town as possible. I suppose those skills could transfer - there are a lot of management aspects, office skills, working with people, etc. but I'm nervous.

I'm also afraid that one of the other jobs I put in for will call me back (there's a HR assistant position that I really want) and I'll want to accept it but will feel locked in to this first position.

I really could use some money but I just want to make a smart choice as I need something to build a future career off of, and I want more insight into what I really want to do (as of now I'm not 100% sure).

I honestly thought I'd be elated when I got a job, but I guess being me I should have expected a healthy dose of anxiety as well.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: I got a job offer....and cue anxiety!

Thats great news, Poppy!

My advice would be to look at the job less and look at what it gives you in return as exposure, something on your CV and the skills it helps you to build. Its useful experience because there is a planning & execution angle with a big emphasis on customer service and understanding the needs of the customer. The latter being something many managers haven't a clue about!

The HR job is an unknown but if they offer it to you, there is nothing to stop you handing in your notice to the event planning business and leaving. They may be a bit miffed that you came & left fairly early but thats how things work. Someone gets a better offer, they don't stay with a company they have hardly any background with.

So, don't worry about that. In terms of your CV and if any later employer did ask you can just tell them the truth. They will understand as they would do the same!

I don't know what its like in the US but over here you would normally have a notice period of around 30 days to give so employers are used to waiting. Its much easier over here to get a job if you already have one so employers must be happy to wait.

Thanks Terry. I'm actually not sure about the rules myself, especially since I'm a student worker so the rules are a little different.

I do know that students come and go from positions all the time - my last student position was in a mail room and we had a couple of employees that just up and left with no notice whatsoever.

As for the ease of getting jobs, it kind of depends. I'm in a college town, so I compete with other college students for positions. If I were looking for a full time job, it may not be so difficult. I'm extra mindful of experience because in a dream world I'd be able to land a job in a smaller town as opposed to a city, where there's just less to go around as a rule (but also less people willing to take them). My friend is moving to the city for her first full-time job and told me when I graduate that I should come too....I would for a year or two but I just really don't want to live in such a congested area.

Usually if you just walk, you lose any accrued holidays over here but not all employers take the hard line in fear of tribunals.

Is student worker an official status or does it mean part-time? If its a specific status then I would expect it to be covered by legislation so it should be easy enough to find out on your governments website. I know your states are much more independent in how they manage themselves compared to our local authorities (e.g. law is central overhere) so there might be something to check their too.

I would suggest checking your rights to leave a position because it might answer your question as it may be less than a month due to yuor status or may be less until you have served so long with the company.

Its good experience and you never know, you might like it and re-assess what you want to do or the path to take.

Thanks again Terry.

Student worker is pretty much just a part time job, but it means that I work for the university so I can only work up to 30 hours during the semester and I have to be taking so many hours of classes in order to be eligible for the position. Otherwise it's like any other part time job.

I can leave at any time, many students do. I won't really "lose" anything by leaving but a paycheck (and maybe a reference ) since I don't really "get" anything from the job besides a paycheck. There's no vacation leave or healthcare or anything like that.

My only concern with leaving the position - IF I do - is I don't want to just leave these ladies hanging as they're going to get busy. But it may never come up, I'll just wait and see.

Right now I'm just getting ready to find out when she wants me to start, which is anxiety-inducing since I can't really plan to do certain things this week since I may or may not be working. And of course I'm nervous about what my duties may be and whether or not I'll enjoy the job. I LOVED the last student job I had and I adored the people I worked with, so I'm really hoping to find something like that again (if I can).

I'm supposed to start working tomorrow and Thursday for a bit. I'm nervous for sure!

I also got a call about an hour ago in regards to another one of the resumes I sent out. It's for an HR position - not necessarily the one I wanted but I'm interested in HR and wanted to get a job in that area if possible. And who's to say I won't get a call from the office I really wanted to work in (I only turned that application in a few days ago).

I'm going to work my two days and then still go in for an interview next week; maybe then I'll have more information to put together a better picture of what the work is like and what I want to do. It's so stressful though!

Feeling like I'm going to need to go talk to my campus counseling service..maybe they can offer insight as well.

In that case, Poppy, I wouldn't worry too much about having to resign because they should be used to it. Part-time workers come & go, agency fly in & out, its more full-timers that you don't expect to come & go quickly (although it happens, people get better offers).

Your campus counsellor is a good idea because I'm sure they can tell you about how others use this work service and you should then use that as your evidence to rationalise it.

Being nervous is a given for most people, its only natural as its a big change and there is a load of uncertainty. The best thing is to get down to it and this will disappear as you will feel more comfortable being there.

Thread Information