Thread: Week 1 of 10mg cit daily causes my resting heart rate to go from 75 bpm to 136 bpm?!

Week 1 of 10mg cit daily causes my resting heart rate to go from 75 bpm to 136 bpm?!

I'm not using this forum as an alternative to seeing my dr, but the dr who prescribed me this, I can't see until 11th MAY, so unless I book an appointment with a different doctor (anyone think I should do that?), I'm pretty much stuck.

I've been getting HORRIBLE side-effects with citalopram so far. Within the first few days of taking it, I came down with an awful headache and I threw up. Days to follow, I felt like a zombie, jaw clenching, brain fogginess, confusion, difficulty concentrating (even worse than before this med), terrible memory.

The panics I have had on this are terrifying. My heart races and beats extremely hard and I feel like I'm going to black out and die. Last night it was so bad my teeth started chattering and I was shaking.

I'm expected to increase my dose from 10mg to 20mg daily in three days time and I feel like I just can't do that to myself!!

I want to stop taking it but I don't know what I should do..

Should I just book an appointment to see any doctor I can? Is what I'm going through normal? Should I wait it out? There have been times only this far in, I've felt like I should call a&e and go to hospital it's so bad.

I'm supposed to be going to the JobCentre to get myself on benefits and all sorts but I can't do anything whatsoever on this, and the whole reason I went to the dr is because I couldn't do anything in the first place.
    Last edited by AthenaFaeyrn; 20-04-15 at 20:31.
    Early thirties: Skin cancer, cervical cancer (again), inflammatory breast cancer, heart attack fears.
    Still here!

"He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because of his fear" - Michel Eyquem de Montaigne.

Re: Week 1 of 10mg cit daily causes my resting heart rate to go from 75 bpm to 136 bp

I'm feeling the same I'm on day 5 on 10mg n it's horrible I've had to get my mum to help watch the kids as I'm so sleepy n keep having funny turns I have t left the house in 2 days 🙈

Re: Week 1 of 10mg cit daily causes my resting heart rate to go from 75 bpm to 136 bp

Quote Originally Posted by Mummyof2x View Post
    I'm feeling the same I'm on day 5 on 10mg n it's horrible I've had to get my mum to help watch the kids as I'm so sleepy n keep having funny turns I have t left the house in 2 days 🙈
    Oh my goshhhh It's such a relief to me to know I'm not alone in this!! I'm on day 6 myself we can be drug buddies!!

It was so shocking to me how many side-effects citalopram has caused me. I'm not used to this at all.
    Early thirties: Skin cancer, cervical cancer (again), inflammatory breast cancer, heart attack fears.
    Still here!

"He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because of his fear" - Michel Eyquem de Montaigne.

Everything you have mentioned is totally normal, you have to remember they are side effects and will pass as you continue. I was on 10mg for 6 days then went onto 20 and I experienced everything you mentioned and quite a few more. It was truly horrendous but after 2 weeks everything started to subside and now 4 weeks in I feel pretty much back to normal. They are so hard to get onto but keep going if you can because it really is worth it. X

Quote Originally Posted by Jem21 View Post
    Everything you have mentioned is totally normal, you have to remember they are side effects and will pass as you continue. I was on 10mg for 6 days then went onto 20 and I experienced everything you mentioned and quite a few more. It was truly horrendous but after 2 weeks everything started to subside and now 4 weeks in I feel pretty much back to normal. They are so hard to get onto but keep going if you can because it really is worth it. X
    Thank you so much. x

I just took my dose for today and I hope at least today won't be as bad as yesterday (yesterday was the worst yet). Gonna try to keep strong through this. <3
    Still here!

I'm on day 12 of 10mg and having all the same symptoms plus I CANNOT sleep which amplifies all of the other symptoms. Last night was one of the worst nights I've ever had, waking up every 30 minutes with a racing pounding heart and anxious thoughts racing a million miles an hour. I feel like I'm actually going mad! I know I need to go up to 20mg but I'm so scared that I'm going to feel worse which I cannot cope with. Trying to keep pushing through in the hope that I'll get relief soon. I'm here if you need to chat!

Thread Information