Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxious while exercising?

Anxious while exercising?

When I exercise I find that it makes me feel more anxious and out of breath. Also like when I was cleaning my tub the other day, I felt my anxiety coming on and started feeling out of breath. So I don't understand why I start to feel out of breath when being active or exercising?

Does this happen to anyone else? I find it to be so annoying!!!

Peggy

Yes, this happens to me as well. I suppose it's because I'm pretty inactive in my daily life.
    So when I start exercising or cleaning house, my heart pounds and I get out of breath and my mind confuses this with anxiety.
    In any case, I have found that if I just push on it goes away.

"You can't yell loud enough to make me shut up."

It was hard for me to understand this when others like you told me this, which I had never felt. However recently a week back. I did feel ODD while exercising. Actually I interpreted it in two ways,
    1. The anxiety actually reduces, but we become more aware of it.
    2. The increased heart rate cheats us.

May be changing the exercise speed to a better suiting rate or changing the time-of-day for exercise might help. I am not anxious in the mornings and it feels better to exercise empty stomach.

asdf

yes this does happen to me.Five years ago iwas very fit keeping fit 2 hours a day.Then panic and anxiety got hold of me.I know keeping fit for me helps with panic and anxiety but i try to jog but then i get panic so igo round in circles

a mccarthuy

Hey Im the same- I use the gym twice a week and get panickty when I get hot and breathless - I also hyperventilate a lot and try to deep breathe but panic the more I focus on my breathing!!! Love wenjoy x

I did some meditation after exercise today morning and it helps calm down.

asdf

i totally relate!

i joined a gym a monh ago, after reading its good for anx ppl and ibs, which i also have...4-5 years ago i was exercising 1 hour 3 times a week without any trouble..but this time around, things have been differnt..
    its been really hard for me, i get anxious on the way to the gym, then can only manage to walk for 25 mins on the walker holding onto the rails too..thats on a good day too!!, some days i get dizzy and have to stop...i also get palps sometimes...it is a cruel circle isnt it...i desperatly want my life back to normal...and be able to exercise like normal ppl do...

I am just wondering if it is because of the way of exercise. It doesnt happen to me. I feel 100 times better after exercise. I am just wondering if its because I run at speeds that are tough enough but not too tough, easy enough but not too easy.

asdf

Hi, yes I know what its like - in fact its seems to be a major problem for me as I belong to a local tennis club which is usually my main source of exercise and a large part of my social life. Now I can't play tennis and can't even face going to the club and seeingn people.

Its mainly due to feeling breathless and trying to overbreath which makes me feel worse - also the pressure of playing with 3 other people I always feel I might let them down by finishing the game early cos I can't cope. Its so frustrating as I love the game and know its good for me but just can't face it. I tried to have a hit this week with my husband but only lasted a few minutes cos I was worried I'd start panicking a nd overbreathing - I know you're supposed to see it through but the last time I was on court it was awful.

Now I'm trying to do a few stretching exercises at home and trying to get the breathing more regular - and not breath through my mouth as I know thats the key.

Hope it starts to get better for you soon
    Rufus xx

Yes this happens to me as well.

I was clearing out a cabinet at work on Monday and moving stationery from one cabinet to another about 20 steps away, I wasn't out of breath or anything but I guess I was exerting myself more than usual. Had to stop doing it as I started getting anxious and felt like there wasn't any air (silly really).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information