Thread: Using too much toilet paper

Using too much toilet paper

Does anybody else have this issue with ocd? I always have to unblock my toilet as I use too much..

Re: Using too much toilet paper

You could flush twice. Or you could buy a new computer with the money you save on paper.

Hi Phil,

Is it number and/or symmetry related as well e.g. equal numbers of sheets wiped in a certain way and multiples of numbers, etc? I have had these issues myself if it is.

---------- Post added at 05:30 ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Davit View Post
    You could flush twice.
    Yep, I've done loads of this!

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Does anybody else have this issue with ocd? I always have to unblock my toilet as I use too much..
    Yes I have lots of issues ,rituals,routines my ocd is related with numbers as well as other things I don't want to go into,everything I do has to be in equal numbers down to how many pieces of toilet roll I use arghhh it's a nightmare just going xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by MRS STRESS ED View Post
    Yes I have lots of issues ,rituals,routines my ocd is related with numbers as well as other things I don't want to go into,everything I do has to be in equal numbers down to how many pieces of toilet roll I use arghhh it's a nightmare just going xxxx
    I do the things with numbers.

I will drink in certain numbers which used to be equal but then it changed to be either equal or inequal, often up to certain numbers and when it was worse those numbers would increase.

The same with things like toilet paper, some of my touching & re-reading rituals which are happily gone thesedays, etc.

I'm finding more are going through my recovery journey and some I do don't bother me much anymore. I've found with certain rituals there can be no anxiety anymore so I think maybe we break the chain and then we sometimes have to work on stopping a harmless ritual that is left behind. Its all strange stuff, no wonder we have to research these conditions!

Since OCD can be limitless in terms of what it chooses to focus on, I have found it can latch onto things that could be embarrassing as with the toilet paper. I've had all sorts of touching rituals with parts of my body and refrained from discussing them because of what people would think of me. I've stopped them now. I don't mind discussing these on here though but they would be quite personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Davit View Post
    You could flush twice.
    Ahhhh the 'ol "courtesy flush"... Usually though, it's not due to too much TP

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I do the things with numbers.

I will drink in certain numbers which used to be equal but then it changed to be either equal or inequal, often up to certain numbers and when it was worse those numbers would increase.

The same with things like toilet paper, some of my touching & re-reading rituals which are happily gone thesedays, etc.

I'm finding more are going through my recovery journey and some I do don't bother me much anymore. I've found with certain rituals there can be no anxiety anymore so I think maybe we break the chain and then we sometimes have to work on stopping a harmless ritual that is left behind. Its all strange stuff, no wonder we have to research these conditions!

Since OCD can be limitless in terms of what it chooses to focus on, I have found it can latch onto things that could be embarrassing as with the toilet paper. I've had all sorts of touching rituals with parts of my body and refrained from discussing them because of what people would think of me. I've stopped them now. I don't mind discussing these on here though but they would be quite personal.
    I really get what your saying but god I find it so so hard to break away from all of this and I no I am better than I WAS BUT I cant let go of it all I HAVE THE CONSTANT VOICE TELLING ME YOU MUST DO IT ARGHHHHH and if I DONT DO IT SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN it drives me to despair and my rational mind tells me to stop ,I have managed to stop certain things but others things that god I WISH I COULD STOPPPPPPPP

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Ahhhh the 'ol "courtesy flush"... Usually though, it's not due to too much TP

Positive thoughts
    As long as you don't hear someone giving it loads of work with the brush as well

---------- Post added at 04:38 ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MRS STRESS ED View Post
    I really get what your saying but god I find it so so hard to break away from all of this and I no I am better than I WAS BUT I cant let go of it all I HAVE THE CONSTANT VOICE TELLING ME YOU MUST DO IT ARGHHHHH and if I DONT DO IT SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN it drives me to despair and my rational mind tells me to stop ,I have managed to stop certain things but others things that god I WISH I COULD STOPPPPPPPP
    Yeah, some things are easier to stop than others.

I've found reducing overall anxiety levels works to bring them all down to a level where they can disappear or you can work on them with more success. While my GAD was high, my CBT was going nowhere with my OCD.

I know the voice you speak of, its like it comes from deep within us. I found I could recognise my intrusive thoughts after some time and learning Mindfulness. Its more than just a thought too because you feel sensations in your body with them which seems to make them more powerful.

Thread Information