Thread: Omega Oils and vitamin B12

Omega Oils and vitamin B12

Does anyone take these suppliments regularly and have you found they help with anxiety.

Thanks

Re: Omega Oils and vitamin B12

Hi,

Yes, I found out about Omega 3 from reading threads on here so I researched it online and found studies where it was indicated as possibly useful with depression so I thought I would see if it helped me. It was 1000mg+ used in those studies of either EPA or DHA (I can't remember which without checking and I keep forgetting!) so I aimed to get close to that.

My current supplement gives me about 800+ of each and its pretty cheap. Its high strength but be careful in looking for supplements like this because many of them say high strength but the Omega 3 content is actually quite low. Oosh's "Fish Oil" thread has some useful information and links on.

The first month I took it I found my mood improved quite quickly. The downside was that my anxiety symptoms increased but after this they settled back down again and from there on my mood has been much more stable. I actually got a bit laxy at Xmas and stopped taking it for 3 weeks which was a big mistake as I started seeing things getting worse again! Within days of taking it again my mood was more stable.

My anxiety has a pattern to it and I suspect it is linked to my medication. I have ok periods and then I will experience a blip of higher anxiety which is often accompanied by very low mood. This can happen literally every 7 days at the moment. So, when I started the Omega 3 I suspect that because the depression lifted, I focussed more on the anxiety symptoms so I don't want you to think it made me worse because it didn't, that was likely my perception of it.

So, for me, high strength Omega 3 has worked better than the Duloxetine that I am on. I have been on it a few years now so I can't speak for how well Omega 3 would have performed when I was really bad, although to be honest I'm not really sure how much the Duloxetine has done either and how much of that was me digging myself out of the pit!

I don't know about the other 2 forms of Omega 3 which are found in milk, grains forms, etc I only tried the fish versions.

I don'y know about vitamin B12 either as I haven't tried that yet although I plan on it. I have read about it in studies and how it could be useful and some people on here talk about deficiencies so perhaps someone else can offer an incite there.

Hi,

From my research and the invaluable site here : http://psycheducation.org/treatment/...3-fatty-acids/

The important element of Omega 3 to consume is EPA and as you say, about 1000mg. So anyone reading this, when you march into Holland and Barrett and start looking, really look into the active ingredients. You will see Omega 3 1000mg, but actually they contain 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA! (and bearing in mind you need 1000mg of EPA....) They do a triple strength Omega 3, but it is pretty expensive!

I take a Super Omega 3 that has 560mg EPA and only 90mg DHA twice a day. I could only find this potency for a reasonable price in one place on the web - that was at MyProtein. I take this in a combo with 400-600mg Magnesium and I find this keeps me well balanced.

Good luck!
    Last edited by white43; 23-04-15 at 11:28. Reason: spelling

Magnesium Glycinate 200mg 2 x day
    Taurine 1g
    Vitamin C 1g
    Multivitamin 1 x day
    Omega3 2 x day (achieving 1000mg EPA)

George Eby on Magnesium deficiency causing anxiety and depression: http://george-eby-research.com/html/...n-anxiety.html

Omega 3 information : http://psycheducation.org/treatment/...3-fatty-acids/

I have a B12 deficiency due to my stomach not absorbing it, so take a suppliment (instead of injections) which is a lozenge under the tongue once a day. I do know that low B12 can cause anxiety, so maybe its the fact that it increases the amount in your body that helps to prevent it, or at least keep it at bay.

I take Omega 3 6 and 9 (I think) its a recent thing and have to say I do feel slightly calmer than normal, having used it for a few weeks.

All worth a shot isn't it

Thread Information