Hello

Reaching out for thoughts and experiences of the role our adrenals play in the establishment and maintenance of anxiety and depression. I am early in my investigations into this area but suspect that my adrenals are at the root of my current illness. After a very stressful event in May 2013 i began to feel nauseous especially during the morning. This eased for 2 months but then reappeared and the nausea has been with me every day to this day. I continued to work which was difficult until I finally gave in to the inevitable in August 2014. Back in January 2014 my GP originally prescribed lanzaprozole which provided some relief. With no progress she eventually arranged for tests and scans which all returned ok. This news resulted in my symptoms increasing and having fever, brain fog and fatigue suddenly appearing. This is when I stopped work. A friend then visited who suggested I consider that I have an anxiety based illness. I jumped at this idea, visited my GP who prescribed sertraline. To cut a very long story short covering the last 9 months, I have tried many AD meds which has resulted in my low mood turning to depression as I dropped failed meds like Trazadone. I now take Mirtazapine and have just started Pregablin in an effort to overcome the nausea and growing anxiety. Recently I have decided that I must take some proactive action as my symptoms are not improving. I have read about the adrenals and possible insufficiency or fatigue with the symptoms similar to mine and I suspect many others active on this forum. Fatigue, low mood, nausea, aches and pains, addiction to caffeine. The adrenals over time can stop working optimally due to virus or simply over work and stress. The body needs cortisol to function and is vital for humans to get up and approach the day and deal with daily stresses . When the adrenals are asked to produce cortisol and are not able to produce or not enough then the body tries to compensate by producing adrenaline leading to anxiety and stress symptoms including nausea as the body is then left with a large quantity of adrenaline with no way to use it resulting in anxiety and stress. Looking to take the cortisol saliva test but do not expect any support from my GP. I have a mental illness, deal with it and take your drugs.....next! Any views or experiences of this area would be greatly appreciated.