Thread: scared to go back to dentist

scared to go back to dentist

I went to the dentist for an 2nd checkup as I will still in pain from the last cleaning the week before this was not my normal dentist, she did a quick check, scaling (no polish) found out I need a filling and possibly a 2nd filling.

I try my best to keep them clean, try my best with what I drink and eat, (she knows I don't smoke or drink) but don't like the lecture part of what I should and not eat and drink, cut down on. I know dentists advised you what is causing the problem to avoid problems.

I really do hate my teeth, embarrassed having fillings in my mouth (but much better than having to need root canals, teeth being removed) I feel ashamed that I feel I got the worst teeth ever and the worst teeth this dentist has seen for a while.

I got a difficult mouth to keep clean (I do use an battery/electric toothbrush which has help a lot for the last so many years) and the dentist to check for problems.

I know it is important to get teeth fixed as the problem will get worst.
    My dentist and assistant know I worry about how my teeth look and I am embarrassed about how my teeth look, I get frighten with the scale and her probe, dentist talking in code (I understand about the pockets numbers) I would not try DIY dentistry
    Last edited by unsure_about_this; 23-04-15 at 13:53.

Re: scared to go back to dentist

Do you have a better relationship with your normal dentist? If so, I'd request to see her and only her.

I too hate when dentists talk in code and then refuse to relay the information to you - my old dentist always told me what was going on in my mouth; then he retired and the new dentist is awful, so I'm switching. Personally, I think it's just kind of rude to not offer any explanation - this is your mouth, after all.

If you're doing all you can for your mouth there's nothing to be embarrassed about.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thank you for your reply.

I don't really have a better relationship with my current dentist, but she picked up the problem with x-rays when I went to see her this week. The other dentist just rush she was juggling her patients and my dentist, causing me pain which I have never had before.

I tell her assistant and reception I am scared of seeing the dentist I don't want to have to switch practices, even though I had about 6-8 different dentists at this practice since because most have retired or moved to another practice. I been going since I was about 3-6 months old

I also find it hard to asked what she means by certain things.

I would just tell her right when she meets with you that you are concerned about your teeth and what to know what she things, what problems may be arising, what you can do, what she sees, etc.

Trust me, she'll appreciate your concern. If she's annoyed, switch.

It's not easy to switch dentists but it is MUCH better than staying with a terrible one.

Also, around here there are known dentists who are reputed to be better at dealing with patients that are concerned/scared of going to the dentist. It may not hurt to ask some friends or family or something to see if anyone has any recommendations.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thanks for your reply

I am currently registered with a NHS dentist so are my parents, my Nan and Granddad are registered with a private dentist pratice, so prices will vary. my parents want me to stay with this practice as I been going all my life.

In the past I have said I am embarrassed and afraid about the state and how my teeth look. worried, scared.

I have tried CBT when I had health worries.

I don't know whether I got dental phobia

I just want to get the treatment out the way.

Thread Information