Thread: Random memory flashes and deja vu

Random memory flashes and deja vu

Hi all.. Just wondering if anyone gets memory fashes.. Its like someone will be talking about something and i get a random memory of where iv encountered that thing or person in the past.. It makes me feel uneasy its like i have to know if that memory was real or not otherwise i might be going crazy.. Sometimes the memory isnt something real just vaguely familiar but its like my brain is scanning for similarities.. Othertimes its an actual deja vu or a memory of a dream! Either way i have to find out why i had that thought or memory otherwise its proof that im going crazy. Could these random memories be a sign of psychosis or just an overactive anxiety brain? Thanks

Re: Random memory flashes and deja vu

I experience this same thing. I get really scared of my own thoughts, I overanalyse all of them and have to make sure they're real and make sense, otherwise I think I'm going crazy. I've spent all day today questioning whether I'm sane because when I woke up I was having weird thoughts that didn't really make sense.

It does not sound like you are experiencing psychosis. The fact that you are worrying about your thoughts shows that you are mentally competent but highly anxious. And yet I can't convince myself of the same thing... this is a terrible beast to struggle with!

Have a look at some of Davit's posts as he has studied the memory side and has a lot of useful information about how it works.

OCD does tend to drive us to behaviour like this. One such behaviour is needing to have answers for everything or asking people to repeat answers to make sure you heard it right. I've had some of this myself but I found it eases off as your overall anxiety levels reduce but maybe it was just one of my lesser forms?

OCD is very big on doubt so it causes you to question yourself a lot.

I would treat memory flashes like intrusive thoughts in tackling them. Don't react and be non judgemental or you risk reinforcing what is driving them.

Thankk you both for your replies! I know this is all because of the really high anxiety state iv been in lately, im trying to calm down and not react to these memory flashes, they are just bugging me a bit today because they can be over really random stupid things like a name that seems familiar or an object! I guess i just have to stay calm and non chalant and this will pass too.. Hopefully!

Thread Information