Thread: Constipation/ irregular poos

Constipation/ irregular poos

I'm on holiday and this is my second week away from home. I often find it difficult to poo when I'm not in my own home.

This past week I've pooed probably not even half as much as I normally would. The worst it got was not going to the toilet for 4 days. I feel like I've pulled stomach muscles and I have some back pain (both of which could be from the hiking I did yesterday and the day before), is it likely to be from constipation?

I read horror stories on google about people dying from constipation and it made me really nervous. Please can someone reassure me that it's probably just from change of diet and/or environment and if the constipation does become life threatening then the stomach pains will be much worse and I will be throwing up, in which case I would go to a doctor.

Any help would be great! I'm worrying the my bowels are blocked, even though I have managed to poo a small amount whilst being away.

Re: Constipation/ irregular poos

Hi

I can assure you that you will not die from constipation and if so severe you would most certainly 100% be in a lot lot lot of pain and be unable to function.

Your bowels may well be blocked but that's ok, it can get better. Firstly drink more water, even if you feel full, your body needs water its very important and especially your bowels if you struggle with constipation. Avoid foods that will make you worse i.e bread cheese ect.

Stress will have an affect and because you're now scared of dying from it, your body will be very tense about it. It is something you need to address and it isn't any good for you and is also a big pain in the bum!
    When you're back i would advise seeing your GP about it, i hope you can enjoy the rest of your holiday

I once did not go to poo for 7 days, I went to a doctor and he told me to use constipation medication and come back if it did not help in 3 or 4 days. I had no pains at that point, so I do not think it was a serious thing. Only reason why I went to the doctor in the first place was that is was right after a colonoscopy, and I feared it was so infected and irritated that it had walled itself stuck. But no, the medication helped quickly.

I wish you relaxed holydays!

- Pythagoras

Thanks for the advice! I took some laxitives whilst I was away and once my diet had returned back to normal, the problem disappeared.

I drank lots of water and just tried to go when I could. Once I relaxed it was more bearable. I did also try to avoid bread and things like that- I think that helped too.

Yes that's good, i have to avoid bread really also.

Thread Information