Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alcohol & Citalopram... Thinking of coming off..

Re: Alcohol & Citalopram... Thinking of coming off..

Hey 'Just' my friend, did you tell your doc about your levels of drinking?

It is difficult sometimes to say but you have to be honest with your doc so that this can be taken into consideration when issuing meds.

As you will read above, taking these meds and drinking will have differeing effects on each person. I for example don't seem to want to drink as much as I did but still have a few and feel ok. Although, when I do drink heavy I have blacked out and this is new and not like me....so be careful.

I can lay claim to being around long enough to be pissed off enough to have learned (wrongly) to lean on booze....you're 16 Just. I am not preaching at you Just, but I am worried for you. I am wondering what is going on in your life to mean that you drink so much and need this medication so young? I hope you have someone there to talk to about this huh?

Re: Alcohol & Citalopram... Thinking of coming off..

Hi, I'm new to this site but everyone seems so friendly, so I hope you all don't mind if add my experience of citalopram and alcohol?

When I was first put on citalopram I stayed away from alcohol for a long time. There were two reasons; I had awful side effects in the first few months as my doctor continued to increase my dose as I didn't seem to be getting any better(that was less to do with tablets and more to do with my personal situation). The other reason was, I didn't want to risk anything making me worse/counteracting the powerful little pills. I knew I was ill and didn't want to chance it.

When I stabilised, both personally and when the pills started working, I would have a cheeky little brandy on an evening. I have to say the only effect was that I was mildly sozzled on less than a shot! Luckily I never had any problems the next day. Oh, Apart from the one time at the works do where I got very drunk.

The above were my personal choices based on my circumstances at the time.The only advice I would give is that when someone is getting started on the tablets then *maybe* consider leaving it alone until you start to feel better/side effects wear off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information