Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tapering down on Olanzapine

Tapering down on Olanzapine

Does anyone have any experience in tapering down on this?

Re: Tapering down on Olanzapine

Anyone?

Hi i tapered down from 5mg to 2.5mg, this was my 2nd time at reducing as I failed the 1st time as I felt awful, really shaky, anxiety high and bad nausea but this 2nd time I tried I was determined to do it as apparently it's not a good med to be on longtime even low doses due to its health risks and the only side effect I got was quite bad nausea, when I looked this up it is a common withdrawal symptom of olanzapine, it wasn't pleasant but I kept at it and I'm hoping to come off altogether soon but think I will do it slower and half the 2.5mg pills. Olanzapine is very good but I don't think people actually realise how potent it actually is even in small doses so I'll be glad to be rid of it to be honest. Good luck XX

Hi April, is it ok to message you as I have a lot of experience with this medication?

I'd be interested to hear from you if you've successfully come off olanzapine?

Would it be ok to pm you?

Yep that's fine, thanks.

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

Sorry Aprilmoon for hijacking your thread olanzapine withdrawal can be done and I feel no different now being on 2.5mg than when I was on 5mg apart from I've lost 11lb lol XX

Yes that's fine Gee

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Hi Nichola
    That's good to know that you don't feel much different on the 2.5.
    Also about the weight loss :yes
    Have you been eating the same to get the loss or have you been cutting down as well?
    I didn't know about the bad effects of long term use,what are they?
    Thanks

I've actually joined slimming world to shift the extra weight the olanzapine has made me put on, I've never had a problem with my weight before this med, I've got another 7lb to go until I'm back to my normal weight, it's also caused me to have high cholesterol and I'm only 35!! And I'm constantly weeing which you have to be careful of as olanzapine can cause diabetes. It really is a potent little pill and you think it's fine cause your on a low dose but that's not the case, it acts as an anti physcotic at whatever dose your on XX

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

Just taper down very slowly, ask for some 2.5mg tablets and then just cut them in half and do it that way and then you shouldn't get too many withdrawals but honestly I feel exactly the same on 2.5mg so I think it's my ven that's properly kicked in now and the olanzapine isn't really doing much but I'm nervous to reduce again XX

I think we're both on the same dose of Ven arnt we 187.5?
    I don't think I'll do anything about reducing that until I've got to grips with the Olanzapine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information