Thread: Really starting to think im seriously ill

Really starting to think im seriously ill

I have had anxiety for 3 years now. I managed to get it under control somewhat in the past few years until now.

The past week though I have gone back to square 1. I randomly started losing weight about 4/5 months ago and didn't notice myself until colleagues at work started commenting on it. Since then I have lost about 2 stone.

The past week I have felt worse than I have done in a long long time, it started with my head feeling really odd and pressure and it still feels that way but apart from that I also feel extremely ill and weak now.

Been back to the doctors and they have referred me back to neurologist for my head and for blood tests because of my weight loss.

I do look ill and people I speak to confirm this. Its all starting to point towards we having something physically wrong with me. So my anxiety is now through the roof and im struggling to cope.

Thinking back I cant see any reasons on terms of stress/anxiety that I would of started losing the weight as I was probably the best I had been up until this month. Instead of ignoring symptoms I am now analysing them. I have felt ill for a while, have had head symptoms pretty consistently for months. My cognitive function and memory have been awful for a long time. I have had swollen lymph nodes in different areas on and off for a long while. Night sweats for years. I feel so physically ill and weak like I have not much left.

I am now thinking the worst am I am pretty convinced I am seriously ill. Cant believe I have gone back down this way again and I cant bare it. Maybe I had something wrong all along from when anxiety started or maybe the stress over the past few years has made me ill. I hope it is just anxiety and nothing more but im not confident and cant bare feeling like this anymore.

Re: Really starting to think im seriously ill

The exact same happening too me apart from its only been six weeks since it first ever happend well the panic attack then after that I'm scared over everything every ache etc even now I'm convinced something wrong etc etc lost weight can't swollow tunnel vision ..... Fuxxy eyes hazey fuzzy days nooooo sleep headaches ear aches throbbing legs tingling arms .... Hot then cold tired .... Snappy confused ...... And every test doctor saying it's health anxiety ........... Please don't worry try relax I'm in the same boat as you but you just confirmed that if it's anxiety I'll prob never be cured for long anyway

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

My memory bad too ......pressure in head intense

Suffering with so much anxiety is the reason for weight loss I would assume. At the height of anxiety I looked like I had something seriously wrong with me and I looked the wreck I felt. That was over 30 years ago and I am still here. Know what I'm saying?

How do you lose 2 stone and not notice it. You could be right you know, so what do you think is causing the weight loss. Not eating, wrong kind of food. For me bananas, cheese and sausage put the eight on, but I do love them, well not bananas, but I have to eat one a day. What have you ruled out as absolutely not making you sick. Occams razor. Rule out everything it can't be and what is left is a possibility. I'de put it on paper so they don't just do the same tests over and over.

Im was sure I responded to this thread a while back......but apparently not.

Davit, I didn't say I lost 2 stone and not notice, I said I started randomly losing weight and my colleagues at work were the first to notice and since then I had lost 2 stone. Since its been another month since I posted this thread its about 2 and a half stone loss. My normal weight is 12 and half to 13 st and I am now at 10 stone.

The reason that it concerns me is that there was no change in my life, there was no extra stress/anxiety, I hadn't changed my routine or eating habits, I was still doing weights at the gym as normal. The only point where anxiety really hit me badly was when I suddenly started feeling extremely ill and a headache that I have had for a couple of years suddenly got a lot worse and much more consistent. Im not denying I didn't have anxiety before this episode because I did but only to the same levels every day that I had been dealing with for the past 2 years with no change in weight. The only other time I lost weight was when I first had a breakdown about 3 years ago and at that time I was my worst every and wasn't eating a single thing so no wonder I lost weight but even then I didn't lose this much.

So there is no real reason for the weight loss that I can think of which may point to something medical. I have had the full blood test back from the doctor and they were normal. Thats pretty much it, once they do they 1 test they just assume ok your fine. Well that much weight loss in a few months and it continuing is not normal. I did go back to the neurologist but he said he doesnt suspect anything sinister.

Like what do I do now, I dont want to go back down the health anx route, do I just go back to trying to convince myself its all caused by anxiety and force myself through life while feeling extremely ill or more days then not. Surely there should be more checks into health with that weight loss and with the way I feel. Doctors just seem so laid back about it all just because I have anxiety its not taken seriously. They probably don't even belief I have actually lost that amount of weight lol. With them its like ok blood test was normal, your fine, good bye.

Something must have changed for you to lose so much weight. You say you haven't changed your eating habits and aren't working out any more or less. My first thought for your symptoms would be a thyroid issue but bloodwork has come back clear and doctors aren't overly concerned. That for one is great news and should make you feel less anxious. I can only suggest that this is how your body reacts to anxiety and the only way forward is to try and relax and worry a bit less. I know it's easier said than done (I've been there) but maybe try to spend this weekend keeping busy and taking your mind off the very thing that is consuming you. I really hope things start looking up for you. Big hugs. xx

Ah thanks Meche.

Im honestly ok, im not overly anxious right now. I did have a bad blip when I originally made this thread last month but I somewhat over that now. Im just posting again to mention the weight loss and respond to the thread. I really had no difference in anxiety during the period where I lost most of the weight so it just feels like a mystery to me, maybe I was more stressed without knowing so, I don't know. Yes the bloodwork being normal is of course some reassurance to me but again it still leaves it as a mystery and there are many things that bloods do not show.

I will have to accept it as anxiety for now and see how things go. I will try and take my mind of things as you said. Thanks. Hugs back.

You're more than welcome.

I would do the same. Unless you actually feel unwell or something really doesn't feel right then I would just let it be, get on with life & hope to feel better soon. I bet you do. Distraction is the best cure for anxiety. I rarely have issues these days but on those odd 'off' days I need to keep my mind occupied otherwise it's a downward spiral. xx

Thread Information