Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared to take medication

Scared to take medication

I am too scared to take any tablets, won't even take a paracetamol but I have been prescribed vitamin D because I am deficient and I am too scared to. I am supposed to be taking 5 tablets a day and at the moment am managing to take only 2. Even with taking the 2 I am imaging all sorts. I have a bit of an upset stomach, probably anxiety but I am thinking I am over doing the vitamins as a side effect of taking too much is an upset stomach. Every little twinge or funny feeling I think is because of the tablets. It's driving me mad and I have another 3 weeks to go before I have another blood test. I am on a big dose because of the deficiency and it just doesn't feel right.

Anyone else taken vitamin D tablets and lived to tell the tale?

Re: Scared to take medication

I'm taking them. My last blood test showed my Vitamin D was very low as well. Honestly 5 tablets a day seems like a lot. The doctor told me to take 2 a day. He actually wanted me to have an injection but I said I'd rather take the tablets instead. Maybe you should ask about the injection. I think it is just a one off and it would mean you don't have to take tablets each day.

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Can you sit in the sun for at least 30 minutes each day. My old doctor who retired (cries) told me that doing that was the best way to build up your Vitamin D.

Quote Originally Posted by swajj View Post
    I'm taking them. My last blood test showed my Vitamin D was very low as well. Honestly 5 tablets a day seems like a lot. The doctor told me to take 2 a day. He actually wanted me to have an injection but I said I'd rather take the tablets instead. Maybe you should ask about the injection. I think it is just a one off and it would mean you don't have to take tablets each day.

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Can you sit in the sun for at least 30 minutes each day. My old doctor who retired (cries) told me that doing that was the best way to build up your Vitamin D.
    The quality of our sun in the UK isn't great but what about one of those SAD lightbox things?

I don't even know what that is Terry. Yes, I sometimes forget we are living in different countries. We get plenty of sun but I can never do the 30 minute thing on a regular basis hence the tablets.

Send us some of yours over!

SAD Lightboxes are used when you wake up for a certain amount of time and they have been found effective against SAD so doctors are happen to dish them out or recommend them. There are some contrindications though, I seem to recall people who could experience mania should not use them but they are safe for anxiety otherwise and some people on here use them.

I'm not sure if that would be sufficient but if you think 30 minutes of sunlight could help, these would be a way to produce that effect over here as our weathers a bit iffy still. I've read before that they don't even think our sunlight is sufficient anymore but I've never followedn it up to understand those claims.

What does SAD stand for?

Sorry, Seasonal Affective Disorder, you obviously don't get much of that over there!

It used to be known as "the winter blues". Depression during the poor sunlight months.

Oh ok that's interesting. Will have a closer look into SAD lightboxes. Thanks for the tip.

I think SADNoMore (Marie) knows a fair bit about them. She's in Canada and they get very little sunlight up there most of the year so she's been looking into vitamin D a lot and supplementing.

I remember when I looked at SAD lightboxes that there was some issue raised about some of them not having a powerful enough lumens rating yet they were on general sale! So, perhaps check that out just in case.

Ok will do. Goodnight Terry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information