Thread: My throat feels like its closing up, please help!!

Exclamation My throat feels like its closing up, please help!!

Ok I just registered on this site because I've been living on the globus hystericus section all week! I'll try to keep this short but let me tell you what happened..

Over a week ago I was eating some smoked salmon and half an hour later it felt like something was stuck in my throat that I couldn't swallow away no matter how much water I drank or if I ate bread, I had a panic attack and convinced myself I had a bone lodged down there.. this happened on a Saturday so I only had more panic as I realised my local GP wasn't open. The next day the feeling got worse, I couldn't even get down solid food so after more panic managed to get an appointment with an out of hours gp who said he thought a fish bone may have grazed the side of my throat and caused irritation as he couldn't see any sign of infection. This eased my mind slightly after he kept reassuring me it wasn't hiding in my mouth somewhere ready to choke me!

A few days after that it got better and the feeling completely went away until Friday afternoon when it started even worse than before! I had that week had an ulcer on my tongue that was painful and caused me panic so maybe the feeling was brought on by panic and there was never any bone? I say this because before I ate the salmon in the first place I had a small panic attack. (Also I cut my salmon up so small I would have noticed a bone, I'm paranoid over them)

Since friday though the feeling is STILL here, I've had another dr look in my mouth and reassure me everythings fine, but it feels SOO dry no matter how much I drink, I've never experienced anything like it before and the feeling of the lump when I try and eat is STILL there! I don't know if maybe I've got myself into a panic cycle because I'm not eating properly because of it & cancer is always at the back of my mind, I've had to miss work today to make another drs appointment so I can get referred to an ENT because I just cant cope anymore!

Thank you for taking the time to read this, could it be globus or something serious?! Or was it the fish bone..

Re: My throat feels like its closing up, please help!!

Blimey sounds dreadful but from experience panic does make you feel like your throat is closing up and also your mouth becomes very dry.. it could possibly be a viscious circle like you said.. i have anxiety that is getting easier but at the same time so scary.. the side affects of the anxiety trigger so many physical syptoms.. hope it gets sorted. x

Thanks for your reply! I had a Dr tell me about globus and since then it started to get better! I think because it was the reassurance of a Dr telling me it was a symptom of anxiety, I've never experienced it in all my previous times of panic but now I know I can work on controlling it. Still slightly uncomfortable but I'm managing to get down solid food now so I'm happy!

oh that good. Fingers crossed.. Anxiety and panic are horrible and cause so many unwanted symptoms.x

Thread Information