Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpha stim for (gad) anybody tried this ?

Alpha stim for (gad) anybody tried this ?

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section.
    Has anybody heard of a piece of equipment called a alpha stim.
    Apparently it is very good for Anxiety ( Exspensive though)
    Looked at the comments on line and they are very good but just wondered if it was a bit of a con.
    Apparently its just about to get introduced to the nhs after a trial period was good but not sure how true this is.
    Any comments are much appreciated.

Re: Alpha stim for (gad) anybody tried this ?

Hi Shaun,

I've seen it myself but haven't tried it. There is a thread on the Natural Remedies board (I think its that one) by lilharry about one of these devices under a different name that she used in her country. She's not been on for a while but she did update the thread with how she felt after using it. In her case, she could loan one of a naturopath I believe.

I'm not sure on the reviews on their website. I can see Dr Chris Steele so thats favourable but some of the dodgy self help products out there also have medical endorsements (some obviously paid for!) and this device is very expensive. Since the reviews on the website are going to be biased, what I tend to do is start Googling and see what people are saying in forums, on Amazon, etc (just be wary of Amazon though, a lot of fake reviews go on their too so if someone isn't a verified purchase and has only joined to post one review, they may be dodgy).

Where have you heard about a NHS trial? The NHS already using TMS, which is similiar, but only for migraines and its been available for years but I've not heard about a trial for this device. I would be very interested in reading the results though.

http://youtu.be/BS8FjHOmbXg

---------- Post added at 10:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 ----------

Hi Terry,
    I have been doing a lot of research into this and what I have found that it is working very well for some people with anxiety, Insomnia & Depression.
    I spoke to the company who is selling these in the uk and they have confirmed that they have just done a trial in the nhs with great results and will be introducing it in the near future for patients to go to a clinic to have this treatment as I don,t think they have the funding for purchasing these.
    I also confirmed this with my phycaratrist who said that there is a lot of new things coming out & on trial with the nhs & this was one of those.
    I will do some more research as there is a lot on the Internet about it all with great results but like you I am always sceptical about these things.
    I do know that they are 100% safe and there is lots of people who have had great benefit from this device.
    I will go ahead and order one if after a bit more research and if I do I will keep you posted.
    Shaun

I have got one. I tried it for a good 6 months. I cant day i noticed a great deal of difference. But it may of course work well for other people. The only thing i noticed is that when i was using it my mind was slightly "slower" as i was not focusing on thoughts as much. Which i suppose is useful. You do need to top up on the conducting solution and pads which can be expensive though.

Probably not worth the money then but maybe worth a go .

Anythings worth a go to fight anxiety. Although it is a lot of money. you used to be able to trial them for 30days. Perhaps thats worth a go.

Hi Shaun,

There is a clinical trial in the US on veterans thhat may be useful:

http://medistim.hu/wp-content/upload...vey-Poster.pdf

Bare in mind though that there are various models and I think there are ones in the US that are not over here yet.

An interesting article that shows the US military using it:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ment-tool-risk

There is a study on the NICE website but whilst it shows on a Google search, its not there when you search on their website.

There are some studies out there but they they can be small groups and some contradict each other by not finding any use for it.

They are safe, they've been around a very long time just not for mental health issues.

If only the company had mentioned the NHS, I would be skeptical because the gurus out there also say the NHS approve their therapies which is garbage and you will not find anything to suggest they do. Since your psychiatrist knows of it, its more promising and there is an entry on the NICE evidence base somewhere but we can't access it.

How about asking the NHS or NICE where to find it?

Hi Terry ,
    Very interesting & thank you for the links .

When I Googled "NHS Alpha Stim Trial" it did bring up some forum links, pretty much all for people with fibro. One of those forums had done an informal trial of it with, I assume, some of its members. So, it might be worth having a scan at some of those.

I will have a look Terry thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information