Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sore throat from acid reflux

Sore throat from acid reflux

So just wondering if anyone has had this before... I suffer from acid reflux, and earlier today, I had one of those instances where I burped and the acid basically came right up to the top of my throat and BURNED SO BADLY that I was coughing and actually couldn't catch my breath for a bit.

Anyway, I've now developed a sore throat. Is this from the acid coming up and burning me? Is this kind of delayed reaction normal? As although my throat was burning initially when it happened, the actual sore throat has only just come on about 8 hours later...

Re: Sore throat from acid reflux

Yeah that'll happen, experienced it a few times.

Have you been to the doctors to try to take control of the acid?

I have. Had an endoscopy a month or so ago just to rule out anything else, and it was fine except for showing reflux. I was taking Omeprazole which worked but made me feel really ill so I stopped taking it for the last two weeks and my reflux has been REALLY bad. The worst it's ever been. Just got a prescription for Lansoprazole so hopefully that will work.

So you've gotten a genuine sore throat from it before like I'm experiencing? It literally feels the same as if I'm getting a sore throat from being ill. Why did it take 8 hours to set in?

Right so today I've actually woken up with a mild cold. I cannot believe this. It's the 6th cold in 6 months. Although I did burn my throat from regurgitating acid yesterday and assumed my sore throat was from that, I have woken up today with a sore throat, blocked nose, and headache, basically a cold. What the hell is going on with me? I've had full blood counts done and more, all show me to me normal. Why do I keep getting sick?!?!? I am REALLY stressed out about this now.

I have had acid reflux for 4 weeks and my throat is sore and croaky too.

You are getting colds because your immune system is low due to anxiety most likely.

That or allergies. Try taking some allergy meds like pirition and see if that helps. The pollen count here has been pretty bad lately so maybe try some meds to see if it is that?

Your blood counts are fine. It's because you are run down with anxiety or allergies would be my non medical guess.

Because of the way your sinuses are connected to your throat, acid reflux can also seriously irritate your sinuses, give you a headache from sinus issues, and make you feel all-over gross (sinus health has a big impact on how we feel).

Or, you have a cold. Either way, it's not something to worry about and totally normal, I'd say.

It's definitely not allergies, I've suffered with hay fever for most of my life so I definitely can tell them apart.. but 6 colds in 5 months... isn't that really unusual? I didn't realise acid can irritate the sinuses... could this cause cold like symptoms? The thing is today it wasn't just the sore throat I woke up with, it was the whole generally ill, 'cold' feeling :/

It depends - do you work with kids or the public? Anxiety can seriously wreck your immune system as well.

And it could definitely cause cold-like symptoms, including feeling groggy and gross, if your sinuses went wonky overnight and kept you from breathing normally.

Again - even if it's a cold, it doesn't mean anything.

I don't work with kids but I am in a gym 5 days a week... but the thing is, that's been the case for the last 10 years and I've never gotten so many colds like this before. Anything wrong with my immune system would have shown up clearly in blood tests right??

Hi,

For the acid reflux try a glass of warm lemon water before bed, and through the day if you wish, you can add honey to it also. It does help.

What is your diet like? Stress can have an affect on the immune system and if you're not getting the nutrients you need to fight things then you will be ill a lot. I know people like this, have a cold all the time even in the summer they will catch anything.

Bad acid reflux can give you a sore throat especially in the morning, try and ensure you have a pillow that props you up too as this will help through the night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information