Thread: When did the side-effects wear off?

When did the side-effects wear off?

I'm on week 3 and still getting the awful jaw clenching and breathing issues (though I can't tell if the breathing issues are panic or not, it's strange).
    Do they ever really go away on this med or does it just take time?
    Early thirties: Skin cancer, cervical cancer (again), inflammatory breast cancer, heart attack fears.
    Still here!

"He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because of his fear" - Michel Eyquem de Montaigne.

Re: When did the side-effects wear off?

I have been on citalopram for a month now and the jaw clenching has only just stopped for me in the last couple of days. I was really impatient and wanted to give up, but I'm sticking with it because I'm just starting to feel like it's working to reduce my anxiety.

took a few weeks, you must be about there now I'd think

Think it varies from person to person. For me, it took about 7-8 weeks, although my dose was being fiddled about with, during that time. Much better now - try and stick with it.

I hated the jaw clenching phase. But then I got to the intense yawning phase, and that felt like every yawn wasn't satisfying enough, like my jaw would dislocate because my yawns were so intense... and I would given anything to go back to the jaw clenching, or the initial "freaked out, paranoid and anxious" phase.

All that to say. Everyone on the internet kept saying 2-3 weeks, and I almost got off the meds at 6 weeks because I was ready to give up and call it a day. It took me a full 2 months to be 100% fine with it. And I'm onto month 4 or maybe 5 now. Lose track of time. But it's been lovely and well worth the awkward, difficult side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by honeycakes View Post
    I hated the jaw clenching phase. But then I got to the intense yawning phase, and that felt like every yawn wasn't satisfying enough, like my jaw would dislocate because my yawns were so intense... and I would given anything to go back to the jaw clenching, or the initial "freaked out, paranoid and anxious" phase.

All that to say. Everyone on the internet kept saying 2-3 weeks, and I almost got off the meds at 6 weeks because I was ready to give up and call it a day. It took me a full 2 months to be 100% fine with it. And I'm onto month 4 or maybe 5 now. Lose track of time. But it's been lovely and well worth the awkward, difficult side effects.
    This is so, SO helpful thank you so much!! I too see everywhere that side-effects stop after like 2 - 3 weeks but I'm on week 4 now and the jaw clenching is still showing no signs of stopping yet and I still get nausea and headaches (probably headaches from the jaw clenching!).

When did the yawning set in for you? And when did you start to feel like citalopram was working for the better? xxx
    Early thirties: Skin cancer, cervical cancer (again), inflammatory breast cancer, heart attack fears.
    Still here!

"He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because of his fear" - Michel Eyquem de Montaigne.

I started on 20mg after nearly 4 weeks on 10mg and the yawning REALLY kicked in for me.

I started getting the yawning on Day 4 (yesterday morning) this time round. I also began to feel very drowsy. This feeling still hasn't worn off.

I still get the being tired through the day (12 weeks in on 40mg) but I can deal with that, seeing as the anxiety has tailed off over the last couple of weeks.

Thread Information