Thread: Is there a difference between instant release Propranolol brands??

Is there a difference between instant release Propranolol brands??

Just wondering if anyone has noticed any difference between instant release propranolol tablets from one manufacturer to another?

I have been to collect my prescription and it's a different brand to what I normally get.

I normally get Actavis but this is Teva. Both are the same mg but the new ones are making me feel weird and spaced out. Wondering if it's all my head as I am under a lot of stress at the moment and I do have a medication phobia at the best of time!

I did notice years ago that when I tried a new slow release medication (my normal was Inderal but was prescribed a different brand) it made me feel awful and I always got the Inderal written on my prescription but didn't think it would be the same for instant release ones? Hoping it's all in my head otherwise I will have ask to the GP nicely to write me another script and pay another prescription charge as I don't like feeling weird

Re: Is there a difference between instant release Propranolol brands??

I phoned my Pharmacist yesterday and they confirmed that although the active ingredient is the same different manufacturers use different inactive ingredients which can affect individuals differently. I had been feeling awful. I had a few pills from an old pack and I took them yesterday and felt much better, like the drug was working whereas before it felt like I was either getting too much of the propranolol in one hit / then a massive withdrawal. It was awful. I actually went to bed on Wednesday wondering if I was going to wake up. Serious anxiety!! I went to pick the new prescription up yesterday and had a massive panic attack. Not had one of those bad boys for a while :( Now have my normal brand pills and hope that they build up in my system quickly as they did before.

One thing I am considering is whether betablockers are the right drug for me and whether I should be trying out antidepressants as I have been on them for so long :(

Re: Is there a difference between instant release Propranolol brands??

Just for the record - I also got the Teva brand on my last prescription (normally Actavis) and its definitely not the same - it's causing anxiety and raised blood pressure.
    It seems to have a much shorter duration of action although the initial effect is much stronger.
    Really awful stuff. Fortunately I found some old Actavis propranolol lying around.

Thread Information