Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anxiety over extrem worry on my mind

anxiety over extrem worry on my mind

Ho guys.i have something going on in my life that is causing me extreem worry and cant stop thinking about it..im fearing the worse about it..its driving me made.all day and all night its on my mind..how do you put something to the back of your mind thats bothering you all day and night...feel like im going mad and the worse is going to happen

Re: anxiety over extrem worry on my mind

Hi Greg, Is there anyone you can talk to about your problem?

Hi magic..iv talked to the mental health team but it hasnt taken away my worrys or fears..

I have the same problem Greg. I live with it every day and night.
    What I decided to do is (my latest)to take my mind off this torment is to
    give my house a make over. So it's paint, paint and more paint.
    I do feel for you Greg. There is nothing more I can say. I wish I could
    say something to ease your negative thoughts.
    Love to you

Some people find journalling helps with things like this, Greg. Sometimes we think that we can resolve it in our heads and thats the end of if but with the more obsessive worries we can experience, it just doesn't work like that and the rumination continues. This is where writing it helps because it gets it out of your mind and onto something you can physically see and understand better.

Write it out. Write what you are worried about & why. Write what you fear could happen. Then write what the chances of that are and what evidence is there that this has ever happened or could happen.

Things like that do help. It can seem daft at first but we are not talking about your cognitive thinking conscious brain, we are talking about the subconscious and it responds to things it can take in. Getting it to take things on from the conscious mind is a skill (such as is taught in CBT) so nuntil you have that skill, therapists teach people to use things like Thought Records to get bit all out on paper and then tell you to keep re-reading it to accept it.

Hi Greg,

I think Terry is giving some good advice! I have written down in length, maybe 4 pages, about a problem I was having before and I immediately felt better. I continued doing it for four days. I have read this is the recommended length of time to do it, if itīs about one specific prob, otherwise it can become obsessive. Thatīs what I read anyway.

About thoughts,worrying you. Iīd recommend that you slow everything down. You are obsessing over a worry. Youīre building it up in your mind. The worry itself is harmless. Just think about it, it is letters, put together to make words, put together to make sentences. Whatīs so scary about letters?

Itīs your emotional reaction to it that you need to calm down. When you think the thought you are becoming agitated, tense, maybe other physical symptoms, like churning stomach, palpitation etc etc. These are all adding to the impact of your thought.

So try and let yourself think the thought but donīt believe it. Or if itīs a question worry, like what will happen if... then ask the thought, well if youīre so smart you tell me?

When you think the thought, try to let go of yourself, deep breaths, sagging the shoulders, arms and tummy muscles.

Dealing with my thoughts like this, they have died down, and more or less gone.

Best,

Jon
    Please see my blog to read about the techniques which have helped me be able to leave my house, travel to the other side of the world, become a teacher, and speak in front of 50 plus people. http://therightinnervoice.com/

Thankyou guys for the advice on this.i think what hasnt helped is that i didnt get much sleep last night so feel tired today.i will try out writing things down and see if that helps..not sure if it will help much tho ,as the worry i have is real and life changing

Trust me Greg, even getting your thoughts down on paper does help. It lifts a little of the weight of your shoulders!

Best,

Jon
    Please see my blog to read about the techniques which have helped me be able to leave my house, travel to the other side of the world, become a teacher, and speak in front of 50 plus people. http://therightinnervoice.com/

Ill give it a try jon see what happens..thanks

By the way Greg, have you by any chance read any of Dr Claire Weekes books?

Best,

Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information