Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling

Thumbs down Struggling

With my Granddads passing i have been struggling at night when trying to sleep, the racing thoughts have popped back along with a fast heartbeat. I've just had the news my Nanna has got lung cancer
    Now i seem to be dwelling on a negative that 'Bad news comes in 3's'.
    So i am finding myself really quite anxious/down at the moment. I go on holiday in 3 weeks time and obviously the next few weeks are going to be emotional with my Granddads burial to come, i'm struggling to know what is a 'Normal' reaction to things like this, i know i need to allow myself time to grieve.

I'm just worried this could undo the progress i've been making, plus my granddad if he is watching would hate to see me like this, but what can i do, i have to let my emotions out.

Re: Struggling

I would say everything you feel is normal including the set back. The difference this time is you have the ability to put things right again after the grieving. Remember the trigger is just a fact. How you see it is how you will feel, a little negative is not bad when you know that is what it is is all. Your progress is in memory, it isn't going anywhere, you can pick up the pieces again and continue after this time has passed. You can do this, you picked up cognitive restructuring very fast. I'm sure you will continue to use it. And I think your Granddad would be pleased to know he meant that much to you.

Thanks Dave, yes you're right, and i probably need to be less critical of myself and just let it be.
    I feel like i've lost a limb without him, it's going to take time.

Only one limb? Yes I know the feeling. I still miss my dad and it has been thirty years but when he does show up in my thoughts they are good thoughts. I think my limb grew back. It is amazing but I am very much like him in attitude. 35 years in a hard rock mine and he never had claustrophobia or panic. It must be attitude. Nothing seemed to bother him.

Yes it's going to take a lot of adjusting, like today for example i would call him every Friday and Wednesday evening if i hadn't been to see him, we would chat for so long, he would be telling me about his ships(he was into crafts), you know he never moaned either.
    Even with the pain he was in he would never complain, and he kept as active as he could.

I;m going to miss his advice, he always knew how to make everything seem better.

I'm really sorry to hear about your nan, Sam.

Can it undo your progress? Yes...but only if you let it. If you continue to work on your recovery, it won't, although it will feel very unpleasant. I takes either a major shock (PTSD value) or a slower decline backwards. The latter you are in charge of.

You emotions are all over the place right now with all this happening and you may find yourself more easily open to the Cognitive Distortions that you would normally recognise and be able to challenge.

This isn't anxiety related but does this sound like a pinched nerve

Pain in the back and left side of neck, sore left arm and pain in the elbow? If so any tips on how to 'un pinch it' lol. I think its because I sit for long periods at my desk

I get just the same if I am at my desk too long. I'm taking breaks every 1/2 hour or so now and rotating my arm to get the circulation going again.

I've been trying that the last few days as sometimes 2 hours have gone by and I havent moved lol.

I'm going to go all GP on you "one issue, one thread madam!"

Davit has a pinched nerve as he has commented on a similiar thread very recently on the Symptoms board so he may have some tips for you.

I would say muscular but with it travelling, it does sound more like a nerve. You can get "referred" pain from various things though so you never know.

I posted a free book on this thread that that should be able to help you with this. It is a trigger point treatment guide that was on sale but its been replaced by a newer version. From what I have seen of the bits I have looked for in the past, it doesn't look much different and its more a layout change. Its pretty simple to do as well and at most you need a tennis ball nd a wall for the exercises but most can be done by hand. It tells you near the start how to use the technique and the rest of the books is about specific areas and what causes them. It quite comprehensive.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...=166483&page=2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information