Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried I have colon cancer

Worried I have colon cancer

In November I began having constipation problems, as well as thin stools. During the preceding two or such weeks before this I had nausea and got sick whenever I tried to eat much, as well as insomnia, which seems odd to be associated with this problem. But for the last five months I have irregular bowel movements, and it's getting a little worrying. I also have an occasional loss of appetite. The only positives are no blood, no pain, fatigue or weight loss so far. I have been to the doctor about this and they try to attribute it all to fiber. They also found a lot of stool lodged in my colon during an x-ray. I want them to give me a scope, but they feel it's unneeded. I am 23, slim, eat too much meat and too little vegetables then I should, have bowel problems on my mom's side and an unknown history on my biological father's side of the family. Due to my age colon cancer would be very unlikely, but not impossible. I'd like some insight on what you all think of my situation.

Re: Worried I have colon cancer

It really does sound like IBS to me, which I dare say someone will have said to you. I think you would have lost weight by now if you have had it since November. My Dad had bowel cancer 15 years ago and he did have blood and weight loss. He is still alive at 90 although he has just had bladder cancer. Many of your symptoms sound like mine and I have IBS and diverticular disease. I do get pain though. If you have had the x-ray and they don't think you need further investigation then I think you are okay. In spite of what some people tell you, fibre is trouble if you have IBS or diverticulitis. Limit your brown bread and avoid skins on fruit and jacket potatoes. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by lyndau63 View Post
    It really does sound like IBS to me, which I dare say someone will have said to you. I think you would have lost weight by now if you have had it since November. My Dad had bowel cancer 15 years ago and he did have blood and weight loss. He is still alive at 90 although he has just had bladder cancer. Many of your symptoms sound like mine and I have IBS and diverticular disease. I do get pain though. If you have had the x-ray and they don't think you need further investigation then I think you are okay. In spite of what some people tell you, fibre is trouble if you have IBS or diverticulitis. Limit your brown bread and avoid skins on fruit and jacket potatoes. Good luck!
    Everyone of these problems began after a bout of stress last fall and have never gone entirely away since.

Quote Originally Posted by TML1991 View Post
    Everyone of these problems began after a bout of stress last fall and have never gone entirely away since.
    And you're posting on an anxiety forum. 1+1= ?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Got to be stress.

I too am scared I have colon cancer. Yesterday I had a horrible mild intense dull pain in my pelvis whenever I pushed to go to the toilet. I'm getting random pains up there too.

Quote Originally Posted by lyndau63 View Post
    Got to be stress.
    Not entirely, it seems to persist when I am calm, too. But it's probably not cancer, as you said.

I get that, but I remember having frequent urination which was professionally pinned down as worrying/being concious when I was calm. Even though I was calm it was still at the very back of my mind and I was conscious of it, so it persisted until I stopped worrying about it when I was told there was nothing to worry about and it went.

This does sound like IBS, you do not have red flag signals. IF it makes you feel better than have a colonoscopy or see a GI doctor! But IBS is very common in anxiety. Infact, I gave myself colitis through worrying but it went away. I had the same fear as you, I even had blood in my stool (A RED FLAG) and I still didn't have colon cancer ! stomach issues can be caused by many things, do not jump to the worst
    case scenario.

Hope you are feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by TML1991 View Post
    The only positives are no blood, no pain, fatigue or weight loss so far.

No weight loss, no blood in stool = NO CANCER.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information