Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: *******Articles of interest*******

*******Articles of interest*******

This thread although posted by me is actually by a group of us. Someones name has to be on it. It is about important things that need to be addressed. The first that we have all agreed on is the lack of success stories. So we want your input.

What therapy have you used, did it work, if not why do you think not?
    How long were you on it? Feel free to say exactly what it involved and if it was missing something what it was.
    This is not about medication, there is already plenty of coverage on that.
    We want to know why there is not more success in something that is curable.
    If you think it is not we also want to know why.

Lets see if we can have this site live up to it's name.
    Last edited by Davit; 02-07-15 at 05:43.

Re: *******Articles of interest*******

I'm looking forward to following this thread. Exactly what we need.

If it doesn't get response it can only mean that the majority think there is no cure or that what they are doing is good enough.

I think this is a great idea Davit Please let's move forward with this.

I had 4 months of weekly CBT therapy for severe anxiety, low self esteem and an eating disorder. It successfully helped me overcome the worst of my eating disorder. And brought my self esteem back up. However my therapy was cut short due to the psychologist finishing her placement and her supervisor deciding I was well enough to manage it on my own. This meant all my actual issues weren't dealt with and I was not at a point where I was able to manage it on my own and have gone backwards since. So I still have severe anxiety and OCD.

CBT quite possibly saved me from bad health problems my bad eating habits were giving me and it's made me so much more positive. However I find it a lot harder to use it with my anxiety as its a lot more severe and deep set from years of thinking. I'm now at a point where I'm considering medication to help work on the anxiety. Without CBT I could never have even considered this because of such a bad phobia. It's given me the tools to give me my life back.

Is this just for people with panic disorder, or can all of us chime in?

Yes chime in swgrl09

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

It successfully helped me overcome the worst of my eating disorder. And brought my self esteem back up. However my therapy was cut short due to the psychologist finishing her placement and her supervisor deciding I was well enough to manage it on my own.
    Is trying CBT again an option Kimberley?

Any one, we want your input. It doesn't have to be therapy per say, it can be anything you think made you better, worse or did nothing. I see we have some good posts, thank you.

I have used several types of therapy to address different aspects of my anxiety. I have been in therapy for 5 years on and off and have seen 3 therapists.

My first therapist was very CBT and family-systems based. I used general CBT on and off throughout the years, found it helpful but not a cure. I felt like the reasons I was anxious were not being addressed and it was really hard to change my thoughts without working on why I had those thoughts. I was well aware my thoughts were distorted, but struggled with actually changing them.

I then went to another therapist after two traumas. My health anxiety worsened due to trauma, so I also tried EMDR, which helped as well, but also not a cure. She did some CBT, but same thing as above. We did family therapy, which was helpful because some of my current depression and anxiety was stemming from some family issues. It was helpful to express how I felt to my sister, have support, and voice my opinion. I was always a "stuffer" and hid my feelings to keep the peace. Getting a chance to find my voice again took one layer off the anxiety. The HA was still there though. In between the first two therapists I lost my mom to cancer, which made it worse. A lot of this therapy was for grief and depression. Once the depression was treated, anxiety came back again.

I learned about IFS in graduate school (Internal Family Systems Therapy). I took a few courses in it and got trained it in. I sought out a therapist who uses a combination of IFS and sensorimotor psychotherapy. This has been the most helpful therapy I have had. I have felt a combination of these two has addressed the underlying issues which keep my anxiety going and I have learned a lot about myself. Through IFS, I have identified why the anxious part of my mind functions and does it's job (it's to protect me from feeling hurt ... which is usually at the core of most behaviors we do, even those we think are destructive). We have been exploring the parts of my personality and mind that got hurt because if we can heal those parts, the anxiety does not have to always be doing it's job to protect it. It sounds confusing, but when you put it into practice, it is extremely helpful and eye-opening for me. The compassionate lens IFS uses also helped me release some of my shame and guilt, as well as self-criticism about why I have struggled to get over this anxiety. Having compassion and patience for myself was healing in and of itself.

The sensorimotor psychotherapy adds another level to it. I can really get in touch with these parts of myself that got hurt and that trigger the anxiety to kick in and access them at a deeper level. There are a lot of therapists out there who really believe trauma and pain get stuck in our body to some extent, and by using motion and sensation, we can access these traumas and work through them. It has helped me get in touch with things I never even knew had an effect on me today as an adult and has been really helpful.

Here's the thing in my opinion. CBT is extremely helpful for symptom management. It is evidence-based and supported by research. I believe it is helpful to an extent and have worked with people using CBT. Some people have felt they were cured by it and I believe them. For me, it wasn't enough. I knew my thinking was distorted. I actively tried to challenge my beliefs and put it into practice. It helped me make some progress, but I did not feel it hit the deeper issues that gave me anxiety in the first place. I think THAT is the true core of why some people get stuck.

swgrl09

You know what I call CBT is different and has five steps. So far I have not found anyone doing more than three with some delving into core beliefs, but often not. Terry says the same so we are looking for anyone who has done all five steps of course but why CBT is so watered down is more important. And you are certainly right, if you don't deal with the root of the problem it comes back or doesn't go in the first place.
    I think with enough input we could create something that works with the right variations for everyone. Have it online and free.
    If PTSD is bad enough it gets shuffled to a part of memory that has no access key for survivals sake. What does have a key is that it happened. By filling in the blanks, by replaying the trauma watered down and slowly increasing the facts a person can either open the key or replace the memory and get rid of the black hole that appears every time a person gets the "it happened thought". The problem with black holes is Amygdala can't work with them, it needs negative or positive so it runs wild looking for an answer that isn't there. This can create anything from all day anxiety as it searches or bad panic

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information