Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: *******Articles of interest*******

Re: *******Articles of interest*******

I find any type of meditation is easier for me when I add movement, so I do yoga. I found an online free yoga channel on youtube that I really like - called Yoga with Adrienne. When I focus on breathing with movement, it is much easier for me to relax.

Thank you swgrl,

I need a sitting chair type of yoga. Back injury prevents me from being limber and copd prevents me from getting out of breath. I'm looking on youtube now for that.

Davit, what has a 5 star? I'm starting on the Palousse(sp?) mindfulness course.

IBS-D, Bile Salt Diarrhea, GAD, Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia, COPD, Sinus tachycardia and the list goes on...

Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what it is still possible for you to do.

Pope John XXIII

On top tips two that are the same very old posts, 2007.

Here goes my story.

I was diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder a year ago after a bad Car Accident.
    I also suffered from Health Anxiety and have always had OCD issues.

I would say I was about 80% cured, which can fall back during a blip to 60% and sometimes I may even be 90%. But, I do lead an almost normal Life.

I got no help professionally, apart from on here.
    I made the decision to fight it and WANT to get better and live my Life rather than the Anxiety take over and lead it for me. (I think this is very important).

I firstly gave myself time to recover by dismissing anything stressful in my Life, cutting down on work and chores, changing my routine, taking up Yoga, attending massage therapy sessions and finally seeking my own private Therapist for Counseling as the NHS advised that I could wait for up to 1 year!
    I also took on the attitude to fight and push through any barriers of fear and used bits of CBT to cope with scenarios that would Panic me.
    I also listened to my body and when I was tired, I would rest, if I was hungry, I would eat; no matter what the time of day or night.

I would say that my improvement began after 6 months, but I still have a great fear of driving and that needs work and I am also fearful when I am on my own.
    I challenge myself now and give myself goals; which 9 times out of ten are successful.

Just to point out how bad I was and how far I have come.

One year ago; I could not put a sentence together, could hardly walk, could not face any person, but my Partner. Had horrendous pain shooting through my body with muscle twitches constantly taking over my body. Did not sleep, just an hour here and there. Could not eat very well. Had hair loss and crying all of the time.
    Did not breath properly, and as a result had permanent stiffness in my shoulders and neck. Severe head pain like I have never known. Blurred vision and dizziness.
    Nightmares when I did sleep. Incontinence; which is very embarrassing. Super senses. Cramps. Pulsating veins. Confusion with daily tasks. A feeling and Doom and Depression. (There were loads more, but that gives you some idea).

I would say that I was around 20% functional.

What do I think worked for me?

Most importantly, the WANTING to get better.
    CBT and re-thinking your thoughts.
    This Forum, because you feel so alone and you can compare your symptoms and share advice.
    Yoga and Meditation.
    Gentle Exercise, especially walking.
    Changing you Life and outlook on Life.

I have to point out that I took no Medication for either my Anxiety, Depression or Pain.

I still have a way to go to be cured, but I feel that your way of Life and Living conditions have a lot to do with your progression.

I could leave this Forum, but I have chosen to stay on and help others as much as time allows me. (Although I do still have a few issues myself, I could cope.)

Carnation

You have the key to doing what it takes. All in one word "want". More people need to use that word.

I have had all those symptoms even the incontinence. Some times I just wanted to give up. I'm glad I didn't. It is hard living when all you have to live for is a cat. A partner would have been nice. I love to drive now.

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

I forgot to mention, I hit a moose and for years it was hard to drive past that point. It really shook me up.

Oh Davit, how could I forget my Cat!!!

He was a big part in my recovery too.

I have adopted a stray that showed up half starved a week after my favourite died. He is a sweety and this is definitely home to him. The other cat is going deaf and blind he might not make the summer so I'll be down to one.

Davit, I'm sorry to hear about your cat's health. We lost a kitten at Christmas time and it was so hard. I still have one who I love, even if she is a loud-mouth in the morning.

They have a good life here. Thomas was 18 as was Deedee. Theodore is 14 which is good since he started off poor, he was going under the hammer literally so I brought him home.
    He should have been on his mother longer. I have the odd mature barn can visit but not kittens, I think hawks get those. My cats all get special food so they don't get stones if they are fixed.
    Cats hold a special place in my heart, it is actually a transfer disorder, but a mild one, I have seen it extreme in a lady that lived with me for two years. My jasper cat only shuts up when he is sleeping.
    Last edited by Davit; 20-05-15 at 01:50. Reason: Spelling

Wow, they do have good lives, long too! We had a 1 year old kitten who got sick at the end of last year with Feline Infectious Peritonitis. It's almost always fatal in cats under 2. She must have been exposed at the shelter we got her, they don't test for it bc it's so rare. Thankfully our 2nd cat was old enough to get over the virus.

I hear you about your jasper, our cat is the most vocal cat I have ever met. Never lets me sleep!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information