Thread: Hernia or muscle strain?

Hernia or muscle strain?

I've spent the last few days out in the garden, trying to sort it out as it has become somewhat overgrown and I've been battling depression recently as well.

The garden looks a lot better now, but the last day or so I've had a dull ache some six inches to the right of my navel. I can't feel any lumps and it seems to be worse when I lie down.

I should add a couple of points here: one, I'm twenty stone and two, the though of a hernia panics me beyond reason as it was a hernia and the op to repair it that took my wife away from me five years ago.

Any thoughts? Have I just hurt myself straining against the waistband of my trousers, have I 'pulled' something or is there something I should worry about?

Re: Hernia or muscle strain?

It sounds very much like you may have pulled a muscle, working in the garden. Pulled muscles usually get better within a week so keep an eye on it, take an anti inflammatory such as ibuprofen. If no better after a week pop along to see your doctor, or sooner if you start to experience any additional symptoms.

Mummygems, thanks for that. Given my history, add Google (yes, I know I shouldn't) and you can imagine the rest. I intend to keep a very watchful eye on it; five years ago my world was utterly destroyed and I have never been able to come to terms with it. It is no exaggeration to say that each day I feel like the Edvard Munch painting.

I know how you feel as I very lost my father ftom lung cancer. Diagnosed in the March, passed away 3 months later. It was a massive shock. My health anxiety is always to do with cancer, every ache, pain, sniffle I get etc. I too use Dr Google even when I know I shouldn't. I am really trying not to by spending less time on my own whilst hubby at work and children at school. I walk the dog, go the gym, see friends, shop, or busy away with housework and it really does distract me. But I do have massive relapses too. Healthy Anxiety really is a horrible thing.

You are not alone and try not to worry about the ache as even that can make it worse. I hope you have plenty of ways you can distract yourself from the ache and Dr Google too.

Take care.

Thread Information