Thread: Enlarged submandibular glands??

Enlarged submandibular glands??

Hi, I've posted threads about this before, but both my right and left submandibular glands under my jaw have been swollen for about 4 years. However, they feel bigger. They are very long and large compared to my other enlarged lymph nodes. Are submandibular gland supposed to be this size/shape?

Re: Enlarged submandibular glands??

Have you been prodding and poking them by any chance as this will make them inflamed and larger. If you are poking them once a day that once a day too much try once a week.

It is totally normal after infection for nodes to stay enlarged sometimes for life but certainly for many many years. Serious causes make them enlarge very quickly often over a matter of weeks.

I have been prodding/poking them a lot, but they have always been longer than my other nodes. Could this just be because that is the submandibular gland's natural shape? They are very long, probably about 4 cm long

Poking and prodding can and will make a perfectly healthy gland swell and even cause them to become "shotty", meaning it will remain permanently swollen. The "fact" they've been that way for 4 years and you're still here means you're fine.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I understand that, but are submandibular glands normally this long, bumpy shape?

Quote Originally Posted by Liv7117 View Post
    I understand that, but are submandibular glands normally this long, bumpy shape?
    Yes... typically the size of your thumb. They're bumpy because you've been aggravating the (*&% out of them!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks that makes me feel a lot better!

Bless your heart you are too young to be letting this control your life. Im the same way when I feel a node I molest it until its painful and swollen. You can and will get over this. Remember YOU control your mind dont let your mind control you. Stop feeding the energy devil demon or whatever you believe in and put nothing but positive energy in your life. Try some guided meditation youd be surprised how well it helps.

Thank you for replying to both my threads, I appreciate the support!!

Hi, how are you doing now, did they go away? Were they painful? How long did it take?

Thread Information