Thread: New to trazodone.

New to trazodone.

Hello,

I've suffered with anxiety for a number of years but always managed to cope without the use of medication.
    A couple of weeks ago my long term partner passed away unexpectedly. This has sent my anxiety in to overdrive.

To begin with, my doctor prescribed me 10 x 2mg diazepam. These make me feel a lot better but my doctor will not prescribe anymore due to them being so addictive, which I understand.

He has now prescribed me trazodone 50mg 3 times daily. I don't have trouble sleeping so I'm unsure when to take them? Most things I've read about them say take them before bed to help with insomnia but it's not sleep I struggle with, it's day to day anxiety. Should I take them throughout the day or before bed? I'm confused but don't want them to sedate me during the day!

Thanks.

Re: New to trazodone.

Hi Baileybee
    Firstly I'm so sorry to hear about your partner, it must be a very difficult time for you. :(
    Regarding Trazodone, I'm quite surprised this has been prescribed as it is an old anti depressant that is mainly used now for insomnia.
    I take 45mg at bedtime (I'm on the liquid form) and it does help me sleep (although it didn't for a while) but I was given it specifically for insomnia. It made me very anxious the first few weeks and now I'm thinking about coming off it.
    If you sleep well then I would've thought they would have prescribed citalopram or Prozac, not that I'm an expert but Traz does make you drowsy.
    I would go back to your doctor and ask how he/she wants you to take them and confirm they are the right thing for you as once you start them it's not that easy just to stop. Hope that helps in some way! Good luck xx

Re: New to trazodone.

Hi bailey..sorry for your loss,it must be very hard for you right now..well im on 200mg of trazadone liquid form.i take it before bed and it helps me with my sleep..its not to treet my anxiety tho and is a old anti depressent drug.i used to take 50mg daytime and it made me feel light headed and tired.get back to the doctors and talk to him ..pop into any chemist and ask to speek to the phymasist..they are trained in all drugs and no more about them then the local gp..they will tell you exactly what you need to know about trazadone..good luck.greg

Thread Information