Thread: Coming off Citalopram - How long for weight loss and sex drive back on track?

Cool Coming off Citalopram - How long for weight loss and sex drive back on track?

Hello everyone!

I am currently slowly coming off Citalopram 20mg as I put on 15kg (33lb) since I started 7 months ago, and also because my sex drive went to hell. This was making me more depressed as I've always had weight issues - I also had a gastric band fitted about 2 years ago - and I'm sick of very rarely wanting sex. I've been reading A LOT of forums and reviews and cannot find a straight answer to the questions I need answered.

My BIG IMPORTANT question is, does the weight come off after dropping Citalopram and how long does it take? The same question goes for sex drive.

I've been on 10mg for 2 days now and haven't been too bad, a few rage spells here and there and a bit tired but that's it.

Re: Coming off Citalopram - How long for weight loss and sex drive back on track?

Quote Originally Posted by NeneBarros View Post
    Hello everyone!

I am currently slowly coming off Citalopram 20mg as I put on 15kg (33lb) since I started 7 months ago, and also because my sex drive went to hell. This was making me more depressed as I've always had weight issues - I also had a gastric band fitted about 2 years ago - and I'm sick of very rarely wanting sex. I've been reading A LOT of forums and reviews and cannot find a straight answer to the questions I need answered.

My BIG IMPORTANT question is, does the weight come off after dropping Citalopram and how long does it take? The same question goes for sex drive.

I've been on 10mg for 2 days now and haven't been too bad, a few rage spells here and there and a bit tired but that's it.
    For many people it is the other way around. Cital suppresses the appetite and the increased anxiety in the early stages of the treatment mean many people don't feel like eating at all.
    I can usually eat like a horse but until the drug side effects have worn off I usually only have a bowl of soup per day.

Once over the side effects my appetite always comes back but whilst losing a little I also eat as normal and don't gain a lot either. Had around half a dozen courses of the drug over the last 10 or so years usually at 20Mg day.

I am male and whilst on the drug suffered from delayed but much more intense orgasm. Sex drive was not really affected I think but I fancied it less because of the depression.
    Once I came off the drug everything was tickety boo again in a couple of weeks.

Are you sure your lack of drive is not associated with being depressed still?

You say the gain in weight has made you 'more depressed'? You need to consider if you are well enough to come off the drug as yet. Maybe your dosage is not strong enough?

These are things you should work out with your doctor!!

As for the weight issue that's another question for the doc as I say for very many in the early stages it suppresses appetite.

Thread Information