Thread: Coming off mirtazapine abruptly

Coming off mirtazapine abruptly

Hi everyone would like to ask if anyone has been on this medication for a short period and then stopped abruptly. I have been on this med for 6 weeks for anxiety and was prescribed 15mg in first two weeks and then upped to 30mg on week 2. I took these for 4weeks but wanted to find out how I was really feeling without the medicine. So last Monday and Tuesday I had 30mg then Wednesday and Thursday I had 15mg then Saturday and Sunday I had 7.5mg. I have not taken any since Sunday night. I guess I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms as I am waking early again and feeling sick and having hot sweats. I am also getting a high pitched buzz in my head that I can hear especially in a quiet area. Does anybody else have had a similar experience and if so how long did the withdrawal symptoms last. Thanks Paul

Re: Coming off mirtazapine abruptly

does your doctor know that you are reducing / stopping your medication or did you do it on your own? It might be better to talk to your doctor about the withdrawl effects if you did stop the medication all by yourself. Please be sure that you get checked regularly and your Doc knows about you quitting medication.
    All the best!

Re: Coming off mirtazapine abruptly

Hi pmrob1,

It could be withdrawal or a return of your original anxiety or both. Generally, if a doctor prescribes mirtazapine, they are thinking about you being on it for several months at least, particularly if it seems to be working. If it was short term, they would prescribe a benzodiazepine. Also, you should taper down, not stop abruptly.

If you continue to have anxiety symptoms, it would be sensible to consider recommencing mirtazapine, at least until you can discuss things with your doctor.

Thread Information