Thread: swallowing problem+PA

swallowing problem+PA

Hi, this is my first posting, sorry if this is a repeat subject. have had the problem of fear of swallowing for about 2 years, it came on around the time I started menopause which may be relevant. However, relevance doesnt always help! I thought I had it beaten until about 2 weeks ago when it raised its uglyhead again over all things a tiny piece of tomato. My fear is of things, small things example tomato peel, stringy veg, oat meal flake etc getting stuck in my throat and choke me.When I feel something 'caught' in my throat first i take big sniffs through my nose of air, I have to stand up and walk away from the table then ,if I cant shift it by a finger I panic, makes me hyperventilate, I go hot, I start to shake, my hands feel clammy, could possibly faint but never have thank god.It doesnt happen all the time, and there are many things I eat normally without panicking, no problem with chocolate! For the first time today I have discussed this with my partner, we have been avoiding it as just by giving it airspace and even writing about it makes it seem larger. So its hard to write this, I thought I was over this, it had worn off but it seems to be creeping its insidious way back into my life and I dont like it. I am off with my sisters for a short break in 2 weeks time, one of them is aware i have a problem, have not discussed it with anyone else at all, not for 2 years, has anyone else experienced anything like this, I know its irational and my reaction makes things worse , I cant help myself at that moment but I know I could if I knew what to do.

Hello Maryj

I don't know if this will help you any at all... but i was told when you have something small stuck in your throat to eat a slice of bread and it will push whatever is stuck right on down the throat. Sorry i can't be of more help........ I hope this works for you

heidi (judi)

Also i wanted to say welcome to NMP ....you will find it very helpful

heidi (judi)

I've had a similar problem where sometimes I feel the food travelling down my throat, and sometimes it feels painful. My first thought is throat cancer or cancer of the larynx. I've been to the doctor and dentist in the last month, mand have been told that they can find no signs of this. I've also had a constant choking feeling on one side of my throat, which my GP tells me is caused by tension in the strap muscles which become tense with stress.
    I've noticed however, that when I experience this I'm often bolting my food down, and not chewing properly and don't immediately realise. The best thing for me is to chew slower, and chew more before swallowing, and have a glass of water or squash to drink when I eat., and slowly stretch the muscles in my neck.
    Before though whenever I got this my throat would feel like it was closing, and I wouldn't eat anymore because I was worried I wouldn't be able to breathe, or one one occaision complained that I thought I had botulism!

Thye one thing to remember though, is if something is stuck in your food passage, your airway is a separate tube, so a small peice of food won't stop you breathing, and if you drink something it will get swallowed.

Hi Mary

Welcome to the site. You will probably by now have seen how many people here understand and will be able to give you lots of support and great help.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Hi, thanks for all the kindness, I have looked through the previous topics and I can see that I am so not alone, which is sad but good if you see what I mean, sad that its a problem but good cos I dont feel alone with it any more.The distraction and relaxation is striking a cord,not sure what sort of relaxation, but have moved where I sit to eat my meals, because I realised that I dont have this as a major problem at work where I sit at my desk and either work or scan the internet.
    We have just had dinner, bit of a nightmare but at least the other half is realising its not his cooking (he cooks most of the time). do feel cross though, I thought after 18 months I was over this, but I am not going to let this take over my life, I have plenty of spare so I can afford to lose some weight. And I guess I should let the sisters know before we go away, its just vocalising it seems to make it bigger, I havent even told my best friend.I dont want them to watch me and be worrying.
    Any way, thanks for letting me blow off on here, I dont feel alone now, I can drop in here when I need to.
    xxxx

Thread Information