Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else a Hypochondriac?

Anyone else a Hypochondriac?

This may have been posted here before but I was wondering if anyone here was, like me a Hypochondriac?

I used to go to the Doctors a lot but now try and avoid the Doctors like the plague lol.

The mere mention of Doctors/Hospitals/medical procedures/Ambulances/Death and my blood runs cold.

I wish there was more support for people who are Hypochondriacs because it is a hell of a thing to go through.

It sounds ridiculous but I have to avoid medical programmes and things of that nature cause my mind will just run riot.

I wish there was some kind of Hypochondriac Rehab or something because I would really consider going to that.

If you're a Hypochondriac, How do you get through it/Any tips? Thanks for reading

Re: Anyone else a Hypochondriac?

Yes, lots on here including myself who are on the HA forum here. It's really difficult. I can empathize with you

lots of people are including me but i only ever panic and fret over symptoms i can't sit on them i have to see a doctor to rule out illness, but i can't listen to anyone's illness or watch medical programs or i will get the diseases .

Yes I am the exact same! Other than my anxiety issues, my health is in pretty good shape (I think) but it doesn't stop me from 100% believing I have every bad disease under the sun.

I had to go to the emergency dentist yesterday and the clinic is at my local hospital. Going to the dentist is scary enough but the fact it was at the hospital made my anxiety 100 times worse.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

I am, and joined this forum hoping to get some support and fellowship with other folks who are dealing with this.

I get extremely worked up going to any kind of medical setting, new doctors always comment on my high heart rate. Yeah, because I'm terrified!

I have come a long way in realizing what it is I'm dealing with (when I had my first panic attack at age 12 I literally thought I was dying and had no idea what GAD was) but it is still very challenging.

When things get really bad, I try to distract myself with books, crafts or other things that I enjoy. Exercise has also helped me greatly, as has intentional breathing exercises and lavender oil.

I hope you find some great ways to help alleviate some of what you are feeling!

yes me all day everyday then you start getting indigestion acid etc so chest pains and it just fuels itself then once you get use to one symptom it will give you another symptom only to be told at hospital nothings wrong with you

binge drinking cures hypochondria no probs at the time!! going out for a quiet one and ending up on crimewatch

If I am in desperate need of one though, for any reason, I will go regardless.
    Just with great anxiety and mild nausea.

most of the people in this forum including myself are hypohondriac and have health anxiety.

my panic attacks and anxiety are triggered by phobias that i have about health.
    i think my heart is gonna stop and soo on.

Smile Re: Anyone else a Hypochondriac?

Rodds here really have anxiety bad at present on a lot of tablets have constant anxiety not able to relax to many symthmon to mention all advise greatly appreciated thank yoy

I have been told (by medical professionals) that I am "a member of the club" (hypochondriac's). However, I think I've actually got carcinophobia, to be more specific. I don't fear cancer, I actually experience all my cancers in my head. I investigate the treatment, the prognosis, I worry about financing the treatment, I look for hospitals and consultants and I even plan what should be done with my body when one of my "many cancers" finally gets me. It is silly, it is irrational, it is embarrassing, painful, depressing and, above all, it's something I cannot control, no matter how hard I try. My "cancer" is always lurking in the shadows, waiting to take over my every thought with this terror of the horrible, dehumanising treatments, terrible pain, progressive physical deterioration and finally a senseless death. Hell is all too real, it's a world where every fibre of your body is consumed by sheer, untameable fear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information