Thread: loss of taste

loss of taste

Hi,

I had a cold a few weeks ago and lost my sense of taste. Nothing unusual in that, I always do. However it has still not come back properly and at times I still don't feel I can taste at all. So now worried I may have a brain tumour.

Re: loss of taste

Hi there,

I've been dealing with this myself at the moment. Like you, I had a cold and my sense of taste didn't recover like it should have- I had trouble tasting sweet food specifically.

One possibility is that your sinuses are still blocked up from the cold which is impeding your sense of smell. Another is that anxiety is causing this- it's actually not uncommon with anxiety disorders to lose your sense of taste, apparently. Mine seems to come and go, depending on how worked up I am.

I'd say give it a few weeks and see if it improves at all- if not, you might like to visit your GP, but I expect they'll tell you the same thing!

Take care

Hi Lynda,

This happened to my mum when she was getting a load of colds back to back last year. I was a bit concerned about it as she has diabetes and the online advice was to check with a GP due to that as it can be connected. However, loss of taste can occur due to ageing to and she is in her seventies.

She had lost hers completely and couldn't taste anything.

After about a month, hers suddently came back though. So, it must have been the colds that caused it. Its not happened in the last 8 months since either.

Thank you both for your replies. I do feel reassured.

Thread Information