Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety/stress over lung cancer or heart attack

Anxiety/stress over lung cancer or heart attack

I'm freaking out. Yesterday I woke up with a sore throat and as the day went on I noticed my chest was burning/discomfort. It was difficult to eat dinner. A few months back I noticed certain foods trigger a burning in my chest like ketchup and tomato sauce but it usually went away after a couple of hours.

Not sure what got me thinking I might have a heart attack or lung cancer but I went to an urgent care to get checked out today with the sore throat and burning chest. The doctor was a bit rude and seemed to be in a rush. I let him know what foods trigger this burn and my throat ache. He left and then came back and seemed concerned... He said how it doesn't sound like a normal heart burn because I don't have any acid running up when I lie down. So he told me to go to my physician which I called to schedule an appointment but they were closed so I'll try again tomorrow.

I am now panicking because of the way the doctor said how it doesn't sound like a normal acid re flux. I am a bit of a hypochondriac and I am literally going to drive myself insane with anxiety. I'm really scared I qas something serious like lung cancer or a heart attack.

Re: Anxiety/stress over lung cancer or heart attack

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2GkVYgf6E6k watch this and you should feel
    More relaxed. Think positive you are ok if it was cardiac he wouldn't have left it for another day.

Hi there,

I'm no doctor, but that sounds pretty well like reflux to me... he absolutely wouldn't have discharged you if he thought it was to do with your heart.

The fact that it's brought on by tomato etc is also pretty suggestive of reflux as tomato is a very acidic food. Do you have any antacids? Try taking them after you have this pain and see if it helps. But, like I said, it really sounds exactly like reflux. I've never heard of cardiac pain being caused by eating acidic food etc.

All the best, let us know how you get on with your doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Emilym80 View Post
    Hi there,

I'm no doctor, but that sounds pretty well like reflux to me... he absolutely wouldn't have discharged you if he thought it was to do with your heart.

The fact that it's brought on by tomato etc is also pretty suggestive of reflux as tomato is a very acidic food. Do you have any antacids? Try taking them after you have this pain and see if it helps. But, like I said, it really sounds exactly like reflux. I've never heard of cardiac pain being caused by eating acidic food etc.

All the best, let us know how you get on with your doctor
    Thanks. I'm thinking that too although the doctor made it sound like it wasn't it which got me VERY anxious. But today after trying to lie down, I noticed acid going up my throat and of course it burned. I'm hoping to schedule an appointment with a new doctor tomorrow.

Must be reflux then! In all likelihood, when he examined you, you just weren't having a bout of reflux at that time.

I'm having the same issues at the moment and I'm also seeing my doctor tomorrow to talk about it. I've found mylanta pretty helpful.

Let us know how you get on

Hi Girl18

I've just logged on and seen your message, and I can honestly say, I could have written this myself...

I myself have recently been experiencing a dull ache in my left chest, it's been going on for a few weeks, and I've been getting very stressed that there is something untoward going on. Anyway, over the last few days, my anxiety/panic have gotten much worse, and I have been having a lot of burning in my chest and last night I even went to bed and counted my heart beats - I'm convinced I'm having a heart attack. I've been to my Dr and he says my heart sounds absolutely fine, and yes he could send me for an ECG but he really does not think I need it. He thinks all the anxiety is making my tummy gurgle, which in turn is messing around with my acids causing this burning.
    Last night, I was in such a state, that I woke up a few times in states of panic, I was sweating, cold shivers, my heart was pounding, and I had a pain in my jaw, I honestly thought I was in the realms of a heart attack.
    I'm finding it really difficult to get a grip on this, it's ruling my life
    Last edited by Donza7; 27-05-15 at 11:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Donza7 View Post
    Hi Girl18

I've just logged on and seen your message, and I can honestly say, I could have written this myself...

I myself have recently been experiencing a dull ache in my left chest, it's been going on for a few weeks, and I've been getting very stressed that there is something untoward going on. Anyway, over the last few days, my anxiety/panic have gotten much worse, and I have been having a lot of burning in my chest and last night I even went to bed and counted my heart beats - I'm convinced I'm having a heart attack. I've been to my Dr and he says my heart sounds absolutely fine, and yes he could send me for an ECG but he really does not think I need it. He thinks all the anxiety is making my tummy gurgle, which in turn is messing around with my acids causing this burning.
    Last night, I was in such a state, that I woke up a few times in states of panic, I was sweating, cold shivers, my heart was pounding, and I had a pain in my jaw, I honestly thought I was in the realms of a heart attack.
    I'm finding it really difficult to get a grip on this, it's ruling my life
    Donza7, I feel for you. I get stressed and anxious very easy. Last week I had a rough week at work, I cried at work because I was so overwhelmed with projects. My girlfriend from work tells me the reflux is from stress. I'm starting to believe this may be stress/food related. May I ask your age?

Hi again,

I forgot to mention that when I get reflux I get pain/discomfort in my chest that radiates to my shoulder/back, down my arm, up my neck and into my jaw. I had a cardiac workup earlier this year and it was fine so I don't think it's heart related.

I'm also 19, which makes it even less likely. Hopefully this puts you at ease somewhat

Quote Originally Posted by Emilym80 View Post
    Hi again,

I forgot to mention that when I get reflux I get pain/discomfort in my chest that radiates to my shoulder/back, down my arm, up my neck and into my jaw. I had a cardiac workup earlier this year and it was fine so I don't think it's heart related.

I'm also 19, which makes it even less likely. Hopefully this puts you at ease somewhat
    Emilym80, I am 22, I exercise regularly and eat pretty clean but slight pains and aches always freak me out, especially ones that last a few days or so. Not sure if this is related to my throat, but I do have a sore throat and I woke up coughing last night and I could feel liquid (like when you're sick). I still have the burning feeling in my chest and I can sort of tell it radiates from the middle of my stomach to mostly the middle of my chest. It's just freaking me out. But knowing that reflux can cause pain in the upper body puts me a bit at ease.

Hi again,

Reflux can cause both a sore throat and persistent cough. It can also cause various pains, due to the acid irritating the vagus nerve (I think). This nerve has a lot to do with regulating your heart rhythm and also runs into your neck/arms/chest etc, which is why reflux can cause palpitations, as well as pain that radiates.

The liquid feeling is probably yet another reflux symptom. See what your doctor says tomorrow. Based on your age and lifestyle, you have no reason to have cardiovascular disease. I'm also presuming you're female based on your username- there is a saying that young women are 'protected' against heart disease, because we have higher levels of oestrogen than men. As such, women tend to suffer from heart disease on average later than men do.

Hopefully this helps to reassure you further until you make it in to the doctor. Hope it goes well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information