Thread: Trouble swallowing?

Trouble swallowing?

Does anyone have globus sensation and trouble swallowing food and liquids as well? I have trouble with hot liquids mainly.

Re: Trouble swallowing?

Hi Sophie,

Describe what the actual problem is, is it just the lump feeling in your throat? Do you have any acid or heartburn?

I have had dysphagia for just over 3 years so I understand what a pain it is.

It's just the lump feeling in the throat - been to the doctors and was told it's not caused by cancer or anything sinister like that thankfully haha. Sometimes it feels like food gets stuck in my throat and my throat spasms when I drink but it's mainly with hot liquids such as tea. My throat does feel tight as well but my throat doesn't hurt at all, even though I do get neck pain when I eat sometimes and I have not had heartburn at all.

As far as I know, its usually acid/heartburn that causes this problem, especially the lump feeling, I get that a lot. Unless there is a slight muscle problem in the throat. Do you think that due to it happening, you are more aware of when you are swallowing, and focusing on your swallowing is causing some tension in your throat?

My advice, if you are focusing on your swallowing a little too much, is to have some distraction when eating or drinking, like listening to some music, watching tv etc

A little bit of anxiety brought on by this, will probably make you tense up when eating or drinking, and that will cause muscle pain in the neck and throat.

I have been thinking it could be reflux - maybe silent reflux. I haven't been diagnosed with reflux, so I can't say what I have for certain. However I have also read about globus sensations, which I guess could be the cause, however as long as I don't have anything serious I guess I can deal with it.

I think I might be more aware of my swallowing, which is causing this and my doctor also said this is the cause and anxiety as well.

Thank you for the advice

This is what happens with me, I focus on my swallowing, which in turn makes my throat muscles tense up and push onto my wind pipe, making breathing a bit difficult and I have trouble catching my breath, the main cause of my swallowing issue is dysphagia, but the anxiety makes it so much worse.

Best thing to do is look at ways to sort that lump in the throat feeling, and just try to relax/distract when eating and drinking.

I hope you get it sorted and feel better soon

Does acid reflux cause your dysphasia?

Dysphagia can be caused by reflux yes, no one is sure what has caused mine to be honest. My physiotherapist said its throat muscle problems, which could have been a result of long term reflux disease, my doctor said its anxiety, the psychiatrist I had to see because of this problem said its a combination of both, so....???

Mine is getting slightly better after 3 years, but it was extreme, there was a point that I could not eat or drink anything and ended up in hospital, I had very high keytones in my urine, about as high as they could go, and as I am a diabetic it was very dangerous. I just couldn't swallow at all, I was even having to spit my saliva out - but that was after I choked on food the second time, so it was all pretty bad.

Your problem will not get like this as it probably is just a little bit of anxiety on top of that lump feeling. If it doesn't pass pretty soon maybe ask your GP about reflux and try some omeprazole for a few weeks. If it is acid this will clear it up and stop the lump feeling and swallowing problem.

Don't be disturbed by my tale, mine was an extreme case. Most stuff like this is easily sorted, just always try to be relaxed when eating and drinking. Don't focus on it because swallowing is a natural as breathing, its not something you have to control, your brain will do it for you, so leave it to the brain. Try distraction if needed, but hopefully it will sort itself out as it often does in a lot of people

I'm sorry that you have dealt with this problem and it's slightly conforting to know that someone has suffered with similar problems, although I wouldn't wish it on anyone. At least you have the reassurance of knowing it is nothing sinister and a case of reflux and anxiety potentially.

Yes it does make you feel better when you have an actual diagnosis with these things, just make sure you get yours sorted out with the doctor, I really think its acid because I do get that lump so often. You can try Zantac (ranitidine) or Gaviscon advance if you think it might be acid, these do help (I use them) so maybe if the lump feeling gets really bad give one of these a go, and if that makes it go away then its an indication that it might be acid. If not then just tell your GP and they can arrange other checks.

I had to go to ENT at one point and before I knew what was going on the lady there shoved a camera up my nose and down into my throat so she could actually see my swallow as it happened. That was interesting, and surprisingly painless.

It always helps if someone is experiencing something similar, as it means it is a real thing and not just something your anxiety is making up in your mind, but as said its easily sorted if acid, and if not then there is lots of help, ie the physiotherapy route etc.

Sorry for babbling by the way, I only had 4 hours sleep last night, and being a little tired makes me chatter/type a lot. I just hope in the midst of my chattering there is some useful advice for you

Thread Information