Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another recovery story

Another recovery story

Well I thought I would post some of the highlights of my recovery so far. It's incredibly inspiring reading about people pushing themselves into things so I hope this helps someone somewhere.

In summary I became completely housebound by panic almost 4 years ago, thus becoming fully agoraphobic. Those first months were just wave after wave of panic and that was without even trying to do anything particularly triggering! I had just reached a point of intense and extreme sensitisation of fear. It took about 18 months to be able to venture out into the surrounding streets and lots and lots of hours of exposure therapy. In hindsight, whilst the exposure was helping, my mindset wasn't quite the right approach so progress was slow, tentative and shaky. I'd made some progresses but I was still very limited where I could go and when and under what circumstances etc. Last year I had a panic attack relapse and deteriorated from june to dec eventually becoming housebound again over Christmas. On top of this I then experienced a full depressive episode on top of the panic, complete with suicidal urges. Lovely!

I gave myself 2 weeks to rest up over Xmas and then started a recovery plan in earnest. It was a plan built on determination, focus, some aggressiveness and also self compassion. As the months have passed, the progress has been exponential and amazing. I have used a combination of tools including mindfulness, twice daily meditation, diet, exercise, my private therapist who I see fortnightly and lots and lots of exposure therapy. I have also educated myself intensely on the workings of how and why I ended up in this panic cycle and more importantly what I need to do to retrain my brain to come out from it.

I still have a long way to go and many things/situations to "un panickify". But the healing momentum is gathering pace and I am constantly pushing myself each day to do something new.

Currently I am able to cycle into town (which I do a minimum of 4 times a week) by MYSELF I have 2 voluntary jobs that I go to each week and I also go to a tai chi class weekly. I have been able to meet someone from another anxiety forum (6 months ago this would have seemed impossible!) and we've met a couple of times now. I have joined the library in town, been into cafes and sat and had a cup of tea, shopped in big department stores (no loitering near the door for me now! ) and last week I went into a hairdressers for a haircut for the first time in 15 years. All these things have been by myself! To put this in context, about 8 weeks ago I couldn't walk further than 5 minutes of my house by myself or cycle more than 5 minutes away from my house by myself. Town takes me about half an hour combined walking and cycling

Everyday now I am just pushing and pushing myself, compassionately, into situations that scare me and then stay in one place until the fear has dropped. Sometimes this can take a couple of hours! However, it is this tactic that has been the most crucial element for me when doing the brain retraining. I also feel different this time round to when I did the exposure a few years back. There feels like a sense of permanency in the recovery this time that I didn't feel at all last time.

Anyway this really is a very short summary of my recovery so far. When I was first housebound I honestly couldn't see how I could ever recover and go anywhere or do anything again. I thought my life was over. I hope my story can offer some hope to anyone in that dark place. It is possible to recover.

I still have lots of work to do and its a work in progress so I may add things to the "can do" list as and when I do them

Re: Another recovery story

Well done to you.

Congratulations, it seems determination and exposure works for you. Is it possible that this time you want to more than last time. Freedom is worth what ever it takes for recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Davit View Post
    Congratulations, it seems determination and exposure works for you. Is it possible that this time you want to more than last time. Freedom is worth what ever it takes for recovery.
    Thank you. Yes the determination is much much stronger this time round. With hindsight I can see where I went wrong with the exposure first time round and that was being too tentative and trying to avoid feeling fear. This time round I am fully expecting to trigger fear with each new exposure task and I just wait until the fear drops before removing myself from the triggering situation/thought etc. I am using lots of challenging counter thoughts when the fear feelings/thoughts arise which is also helping the reprogramming. I am also properly recognising and rejecting avoidance and safety thoughts and behaviours whereas before I was using a lot of safety thoughts and behaviours to get me through things. I don't think any one particular thing is making the difference but more than likely a combination of factors. I would have loved to have regular MRI scans over the last few years to see the changes in the brain! I am certain there are massive differences and changes happening in my brain. It's almost like I can "feel" the new connections. All I know for certain is that this part of recovery feels totally different to the last attempt and that it feels more permanent instead of temporary, like the last exposure felt like. After 4 years in hell its so good to finally see some light at the end of the tunnel

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gotagetthroughthis View Post
    Well done to you.
    Thank you.

What a great story, hard work is paying off. Keep on going

Congratulations, i love a good encouraging story. You sound very enthusiastic, positive and happy with your progress i think you're definitely on the right track and sounds like you've come on leaps and bounds.

Keep updating your thread

Hi nat2015
    Well done you!!!!
    I really, really know what you've been through, and I am delighted with your success. how extraordinarily brave and you are because recovery is not easy.
    You are an inspiration, keep going! Xx

If you could see your brain on the new ( Functional ) fMRI you would see less activity going to Amygdala and that which does, not getting passed on in quite the way it used to. Your fear centre can not process positives so every challenge goes through instead bypassing the fear centre. It still takes time to build positive thoughts and memories but once built they stay there. On the screen you would see a wide line going directly to hypothalamus from hippocampus instead of going through Amygdala. There would still be a narrow one but it would now go through the left side which is more questioning than action which of course is normal. Left side is concern, right side is action and worry. I bet right now your brain looks like a Christmas tree with all its lights. And that would be a beautiful sight after years of panic.

This is a good post, I hope everyone is reading it and realizes it can be done. The how and why is just technical and nothing compared to the determination and will power to actually do it. The how and why are just why. You still have to do it and that you are. I really am very impressed. I know how hard I worked. I know how many give up too and that is a shame.

Thank you everyone. I'm not going to lie, it hasn't been easy by any means. However, the long term gains have been well worth the short term pains. The bottom line is I want my life back and this is the only way I'm going to be able to get it back. It is this overall thought that helps to keep me motivated. My therapist is continually reminding me to put all my focus on what I want instead of on what I don't want!

I forgot to mention that I have deliberately dropped all self criticism and self condemnation since Christmas. I also don't use a lot of self praise when things go "well" either. Things just are as they are and as long as the overall trend is making progress then I'm happy with that even if I have the odd blip day. This kind of ties in with the mindfulness and also the compassion. I used to blame myself for being "weak and pathetic" especially when I felt scared or had a set back. I no longer do this. Since educating myself on how the panic cycle got going I realised that it is nothing more than an unintentionally acquired thought/feeling habit and that's it. When I feel scared now I do this to myself instead of this

Love the icons at the end! Made me giggle xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information