Thread: Does this sound like acid reflux/silent reflux?

Does this sound like acid reflux/silent reflux?

I have had issues with swallowing for a while - mainly with liquids. I was convinced I had ALS of course after going on Google. However I am not choking on liquids and I don't have clinical weakness. I do feel weak, aching, tingling and burning in my throat. However this has been gradual and not the sense of waking up and suddenly not being able to swallow. Also it's been quite on and off and sometimes drinking is a lot easier than other times. Also I have no issues with speech - no hoarseness, slurring and etc.

I feel like I have a lump in my throat, which comes and goes. Sometimes when I drink and eat it feels like it is passing over it. I also feel like I have a lot of mucus in my throat, which is making me feel quite sick. When I eat, it sometimes feels like a effort to do so or it feels stuck as well.

My family and my doctor is not concerned and tells me it is anxiety, but I'm wondering if it is reflux as well because I have the feeling of burning, lump in the throat, phlegm and difficulty swallowing.

Re: Does this sound like acid reflux/silent reflux?

Hi Sophie

I would say this could well be reflux, I had similar symptoms for a while and ended up having an op on my stomach. There are two main things that cause swallowing issues - stress and acid. If you feel it could be acid then ask for a ppi like lanzaprozole and take it for a couple of weeks to see if it helps. If it doesn't then it probably is anxiety. Good luck! X

This could definitely be reflux, I have the same sensations - ALL OF THEM, as well as body wide twitching.. and feeling like there is too much saliva in my mouth when I swallow.. funny thing is when I get distracted at work and stop obsessing over how I am pronouncing my words... everything sounds fine!? strange eh. But Reflux is definite possibility, ALS is not. First stage of bulbar IS speech issues, if you do not have these don't even think about it.
    I know easier said than done, I have lots of trouble myself.

also how old are you? ALS is so rare in young women, actually bulbar according to my friend Joan who has been a great help, has never been diagnosed in a young girl.

Please message me if you need support, I am going through the same thing.. even better message the user Popejoan- she saved me through this ALS fear hell.

Have a beautiful day!

Lilly
    xx

Thankfully I do not have any speech issues or loss of movement in my tounge and I have so many sensory symptoms such as burning, tingling, numbness and sore throat, which made me realise I can't actually have it..

Also I am only seventeen, which I guess as you said makes it extremely rare haha.

Thank you for the replies and the reassurance that it's nothing too sinister haha

Haha oh my gosh, 17 no way it is als ! So unheard of ! There have been basically no cases under 20, maybe one?! Better chance of winning the lottery, being struct by lightning, pigs flying... Haha

Please don't worry about als. I am sorry that anxiety is hitting you so hard at such a young age though. I also experience all of those weird sensory things, I think it is part of hypochondria- we are too focused on our bodies.I am 23, I have had lots of weird bodily things happen as a result of anxiety ie. Alopecia, colitus, now twitching and weird throat things. But the sooner we let go of anxiety and accept these sensations the sooner they will go away!

Best,

Lilly
    Xx

I have acid reflux and get all of those. The lump in the throat is the one I hate the most feels like I can't breathe properly. I also get a lot of burning up my throat. I try to watch what eat for example saucy foods like pizza, spaghetti make it way worse for me so I only eat a little spaghetti and maybe 2 or 3 slices of pizza.

My doctor recommended Prevaicd it's an over the counter anti-acid works well for me. Maybe talk to your doctor they'll probably be able to give you something to help it.

My lump in the throat has decided to move from the side to the middle of my throat, which feels ten times worse. It went away for a while, but has come back with a vengeance haha. food feels stuck as well, although it isn't.

My doctor says its anxiety and won't help me any further although the burning and other symptoms tell me it's reflux as well

Thread Information