Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about throat cancer

Unhappy Worried about throat cancer

This is my first post to this site since being diagnosed with health anxiety 7 years ago. I have had numerous worries over the years but this one seems worse than ever. In the last 6 weeks I have been to the doctors twice with a sore throat. Both times I was diagnosed with tonsillitis & given Penicillin. I could sče the white spots so was happy with that. However my right tonsil is still very swollen (no white spots) and the left side of my throat feels very dry. I am constantly clearing my throat. I feel a little hoarse. Also I feel like I've got something stuck.on the left side of my throat. Every Google search brings up throat cancer & it would appear I have many of thr symptoms. I can not stop worrying which makes everything worse. Anybody else out there experience all these symptoms and it be something else . Many thanks for reading.

Re: Worried about throat cancer

it can take a while to recover totally from tonsillitis, I know its hard not to worry,and don't look on google!

Hi @borntofret I too have EXACTLY the same problem as you only I've been getting tonsillitis/sinus infections for all of my early life , towards my late teens early twenties it died down then bam out of no where in 2011 it hit me the pain in the ears the swallowing I obviously panicked as I've forgotten about this dreaded illness. Ever since 2011 I've had reaccurent bouts of tonsillitis, some viral some bacterial , when i frequent I mean once ever 1 -to 3 months ( 3 months if I'm lucky ).But in feb/March this year I came down with the tel tale signs again , only this time I have one swollen tonsil that won't go down , now this hasn't caused too much grief , but naturally I'm concerned . So off to google I go oh look everybody suggests one thing CANCER!! Well I've been in this worried state of mind since been the docs , she looked at me like I'm crazy- and now I'm currently on my third day of tonsillitis great !!! So naturally I now think of it must of spread I have cancer etc the doc missed it blah blah blah . I'm so glad to read someone else feels like I do ! I do really want to get to bottom of this , o have checked other conditions out Google isn't all cancer have you heard of sjorgens syndrome or hpv virus ( yes some hpv strains can in rare cases lead to cancer but there are dozens of strains ) . Sorry to go on there sometimes it helps to just write , I had myself at my own funeral before with my daughter and husband crying-yes I have a vivid imagination!
    Last edited by Leafygreen; 06-06-15 at 23:04. Reason: Spelling

Thanks for your replies. Feeling a little better now, although I've now found a lump at the back of my neck!!! My husband has tried to reason with me that it's just a spot. Hate health anxiety!!!! Leafy green you sound just like me. It's nice not to be alone :-) x

5. Re: Worried about throat cancer

So glad I read your post! I always feel like something is pushing on my windpipe and was suffering with acid reflux and swollen glands. I was really worried I had cancer!

So I went to the Dr and he wanted to test my thyroid and a virus that causes cronic heartburn. He suggested that sometimes acid from acid reflux can enflame your throat glands, a lot of people who have anxiety tend to have bouts of IBS so this seems to make sense. I'll let you know when my tests come back.

Best wishes

Laura

Hi Laura,
    Hope you're ok? Since my previous correspondence things with my throat seem to have improved, although I now have a new worry!!! Contact belching & feeling that something is stuck in my chest. I believe & hope that this all still to do with reflux. 9 out of 10 days I can get on with life as normal as I can ever be!! Wishing you all the best xxx

7. Re: Worried about throat cancer

Hello,

Thanks for your response. I've had my tests back and they are pretty sure I get stress related acid reflux. It's silly but now I worry about the acid causing ulcers in my throat! I need to just chill out about it all!

I hope you feel better and things get under control.

Best of luck to you xx

Laura

I am also worried of the same issues, I have had a sore throat for 4 months and penicillin did nothing. I have a nasty taste no matter how much I brush and my tongue stays white... It is not a candidas, was tested for that and strep. Also no fever.

1 Started as nasty taste 4 months ago with just yellowish black liquid when tongue scraped
    2 White tongue came in 2 months ago
    3 now white tongue and sore throat with taste...

Can this be cancer?

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts. I'm a head and neck cancer survivor. What's described here is not indicative of cancer. It is VERY indicative of an infection like tonsillitis or GERD/acid reflux.

An acid reducer or PPI for reflux and standard antibiotics for infection are the treatments. Of course, treating your anxiety and reducing stress along with proper nutrition play a huge role in reducing the physical manifestations of anxiety.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

How long would this take to feel better approx.? I took a tecta it just hurts alot and smells/tastes so bad, the white is weird too no matter how much i brush it stays. You are pretty sure Im ok? Thanks so much for talking to me. I just am so stressed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information