Thread: Worried about throat cancer

Red face Worried about throat cancer

This is my first post to this site since being diagnosed with health anxiety 7 years ago. I have had numerous worries over the years but this one seems worse than ever. In the last 6 weeks I have been to the doctors twice with a sore throat. Both times I was diagnosed with tonsillitis & given Penicillin. I could sče the white spots so was happy with that. However my right tonsil is still very swollen (no white spots) and the left side of my throat feels very dry. I am constantly clearing my throat. I feel a little hoarse. Also I feel like I've got something stuck.on the left side of my throat. Every Google search brings up throat cancer & it would appear I have many of thr symptoms. I can not stop worrying which makes everything worse. Anybody else out there experience anything like this.

Re: Worried about throat cancer

Sometimes tonsillitis can be so severe it takes months for the swelling to go down completely. There's also a possibility that you've developed tonsil stones after the initial infection. More likely, however, is that the tonsillitis has drawn your attention to your throat area and you're now focusing on on simple things like swallowing etc. Trust me, when you focus on things like that they become more noticeable, and if you think there's something lodged in your throat, your natural reaction will be to try and clear your throat. This will lead to soreness and irritation.

I think your symptoms are almost certainly related to anxiety putting a focus on the area.

Many thanks for your reply.

I had H&N cancer. What you describe does not present as such.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

what are ur other symptoms with that borntofret.

Thanks for your replies. My symptoms were sore throat, dry mouth, sensation of a lump in my throat making swollowing hard. I also have an achy neck & an actual lump on the back of my neck. I'm feeling a little less anxious now & managed to put things into perspective. I'm sure throat issues are just due to bad infection & the lump on the back of my neck is probably a big spot although I can't see it to check...I'm sure it's not related.

hi borntofret, Throat C is a big issue for me too. I've worried about that more than anything else in the past - worrying about it now too! :-(
    Anxiety gives me that feeling of a lump in the throat and when I'm anxious I tend to become hypersensitive to feelings in a particular area. It's horrible and you have my sympathies. I find I have to be strict with myself... only go to the doctor after a reasonable amount of time (I ask my husband what reasonable amount of time is if I'm unsure!!), avoid google and try to keep active. I also trust the anxiety will pass... it has before and it will again.
    Chin up. We can do it.

xxx

Thread Information