Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Addicted I know

Addicted I know

If I have been on 2mg twice a day for 8 years.
    I am addicted but am I right in thinking it's probably not having any effect? As it doesn't seem to be at all

Re: Addicted I know

Hi I have been taking 4 to 5 mg diazepam for approx 15 years. On the odd occasion I have taken slightly more if anxiety bad. I am now starting to cut down as hate being addicted which I'm sure I am after all this time. I am trying to take 4mg every other day which someone on here recommended as it was what worked best for them. Others say that v gradual reduction is best.It will still be having an effect on you however like me it isn't as noticeable after such a time. I think we will notice it when we try to cut down.I have only just started & didn't take any yesterday. I have taken 4mg today. I think we are quite lucky as most people taking these for years have to take more & more. Are you thinking of cutting down & eventually getting off them ?

Hi both of you
    I too have been on diazepam for a number of years (5).
    Just 2 mg a day. Never craved it or increased it and had it on repeat prescription so just continued taking it. Like you it does nothing for me. Can't even tell I've taken it!

However earlier this year I started to reduce by biting it in half and taking 1 mg a day that's when it all went wrong. I am well and truly addicted. Its actually on my Dr screen that I am a benzodiazepine addict!!!! Great eh?

Me who does drink alcohol, never smoked a cigarette in my life and try to eat healthy am an addict:-(

My p doc has put me on Pregabalin to try help me get off it. I've started a thread on the Pregabalin board. It's early days but I hope one day to be off it.

Just be careful and do it slowly. Don't miss a day, take the same amount each day but gradually reduce over a 2 week period wait till se go then try small reduction again.

Please don't rush.
    Take your time and do it at your own speed.
    Let's hope we can all get off this stuff!!
    Xx

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

Meant to say doesn't drink alcohol
    Damn mobile phone texting!!!

my issue is I am very low right now, and I am not getting any relief, the anxiety is causing tension and pain. I want to effectively know if I need to break what dose I can take as the doctors are useless, they just say "well you should be okay on 2x2mg 3times a day" or whatever...

If only we could turn back the clock & never have started on diazepam. I think that I am going to just cut a quarter off for a few weeks i.e. take 3 3/4 instead of 4 mg & see how that feels. I think as we are on small dosage it means that we need to cut in tiny amounts. I also have found that I need to make sure I eat regularly as if blood sugar drops it starts anxiety as the symptoms are so similar - jelly legs, shaky , dizzy etc. V important for us with anxiety to remember that as we only need one symptom & we are off into full blown anxiety attack.

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

Petersmith2015 I would suggest you cut a tiny bit off the tablet you take at your strongest part of the day. In other words if you usually feel at your best at lunchtime do it then.Keep in touch & I know what you mean about feeling low !! It is a battle however battles can be won even if its one step forward & two back - we just step forward again. A tennis player can come back from 2 sets down & win the match.We can win !!!!

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

Thank you Michelle!

I hit rock bottom wednesday last week, the anxiety and the pain got to much, I cannot sleep, I am vague, numb but so alert its unbelievable, searching for something to grab onto, I want to work at this, I have read some much, learnt so many techniques. Meditation, I am trying, but some many weird youtube videos with spa sounds. Anyone suggest any audio books i can listen to.... I have been told my meds are not working as I have been on them eight years, the doctor I saw last week was incredibly shocked that I had been on them so long, and obviously not working. I was on citilopram , then sertraline. Scared of days, and scared of the pain the anxiety makes.

I downloaded an audio book by Dr Clare Weekes called Hope & Help for Your Nerves. Once you get over the fact that she sounds slightly like Dame Edna you will find her v good. Lots of people mention her on here. I found it on iTunes.

I've been on 5mg 3 times a day for over 3 years now and this is my 3rd time on diazepam (valium) and I have went through 2 withdrawals after being on high doses for long periods of time, I luckily used the Ashton method to withdraw and was fine but as my body became more used to the med the higher the dose I needed for my anxiety.
    Many people are on the for very very long periods of time and need to either come off them or up-dose if they want to, if you feel the diazepam isn't helping and you want to updose you should se you Dr or if you feel it is no good weaning off slowly and aybe trying a different med would be a benefit to you. This is just my thought as it is what I do time from time especially Benzos and other easily addictive meds.

I hope you find the Best route to take.

Kitty xx
    Mirtazapine 30mg evening
    Temazepam 20mg nightly
    Diazepam 5mg x 3 daily

Currently surfing the anxiety wave

sounds like you know what you are talking about I have pm'd you.

Hello
    I was addicted to benzos, you can be even in you're only on a small dosage. Come off them veeeeeery slowly, there is no hurry.
    I was in treatment to help me give them up. I was made to follow an exercise routine to help.
    Good luck x

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

I haven't taken any benzos for 12 years.
    If I feel nervous I take Dr Stuarts Tranquillity Tea and I find listening to Claire Weekes very helpfull too

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information