After watching a TV show that referenced rabies I made the mistake of dwelling on it for too long and have now got stuck in a cycle of trying to convince myself of opportunities where I contracted it.

I live in the UK and have never been bitten by an animal that has broken the skin, so I had just started to work through that obsessive thought, but then I came across some statistics that said the disease may incubate for up to 1 year. I then thought back to the last time I went abroad which was to Philadelphia last August.

At the time I had a little HA scare regarding ebola, because when I was in the street eating an ice-cream a big issue seller asked for money and held my ice-cream as I dug in my purse - I then took another lick before getting paranoid that he may have licked it whilst I wasn't looking and that I may therefore get something - the disease I fixated on at the time was ebola.

I'm now turning that to fit this new worry, and can't stop thinking that this guy had rabies, licked my ice-cream and that I therefore got his saliva in my mouth and the rabies virus has incubated since.

I know realistically I'm being stupid, but that doesn't stop me thinking it :( Is it worth my even contacting the doctor with this?