Thread: Tongue awarness and uncomfortable

Tongue awarness and uncomfortable

Hello everyone, I'm Paolo from Italy (sorry for my English), I am writing here to see if someone has or has had the my same problem. Practically for several months now it is as if I'd become super conscious of the presence of my tongue in my mouth. Virtually all day when I keep my mouth shut I feel the tongue that presses on the palate and it is as if this position has become annoying, although is so from38 years!
    Obviously after many visits was not found anything organic that can cause this feeling to the tongue
    I realize that may seem ridiculous or crazy, but believe me this problem has now resulted in depression for me and I do not hide that i have even thoughts of suicide. I've been to a psychiatrist because this seems to be OCD, and for about a month I take fluoxetine,but so far no improvement. There is someone who has a similar problem? Please give me some advice because I'm really desperate!!
    greetings to all!
    Last edited by Mauricejac; 06-08-15 at 06:44.

Re: Tongue awarness and uncomfortable

what you are describing is a normal and common type of ocd
    you basically become so aware of a specific body part that you cannot
    stop thinking about it and gives you certain physical feelings that arent actually there

the best way you can deal with it is to not give it too much thought
    just be aware that your tongue is there and accept whatever place it might be in
    let it rest in whatever position it takes

long story short,dont feed the habit just "let it be"
    and things will become much better

Hello and thank you for your advice, I know that the best approach is to accept, but it's really really hard, you think that fluoxetine can help? thanks

I do not know enough about medication in general to say if it would or not to be honest
    i know it sounds hard but it is not as hard as you think it is with the right mindset(i know it doesnt sound like it right now)

it is not even about practise it is about the attitude you have towards it,your tongue is in there dont try to deny that and accept any position that it places itself in,you have to learn to accept this without giving it thought

there is no secret technique or formula that will make it go away,it is all in your head
    you have to let it happen,accept it and move on to doing something else

let us say you are in a room with quite a large bird,you see the bird so it holds your attention and you cant stop thinking about it because it is infact there with you, and you cant get rid of it so what do you do? you do not give it attention,you dont place value on his existence and you ignore him until you Forget about it

so what i am trying to say is accept that your tongue is in there,accept any position it finds itself in but DO NOT feed the habit by overthinking about it,just let things happen naturally,it takes practise but it works,what creates the problem itself is the ammount of time you spent thinking about it,you "have to stop it" and you cant let it go so you start to think to yourself "how can i solve this" which only makes you more aware of it and increases the problem

learn to accept the problem and dont try to fight it since the way you win
    is by not fighting it at all

I know that what you say is correct, I had a similar problem when I suffered from tinnitus in the past, that time the acceptance after a few months has helped me, but in this case, the feeling becomes a kind of pain and how you can accept the pain? anyway thanks for spending your time to listen to me

it does become something very painful to deal with it
    but like i said the only way you win this fight is by not fighting at all

you have to learn to truly accept that problem and be ok with it which can take a while
    but once you learn it this habit will either go away or will be kept at a minimum

i have had many of these problems throughout the years,many of them are still live but do not control my life the way they used to,the more you actually care and give value to them the worst they get,they "feed" of the attention that you give them so to speak
    if you ever get into a mindset when you no longer care about such problems they will lose their effect and kind of just die off on their own believe it or not

you have to remember that this is not a physical problem,it is all inside your head and you have to deal with it as such

it is like when you are trying not to think about a white elephant,then all the sudden all you can think of is the white elephant and you cant seem to have any other thoughts,so how do you stop thinking about the white elephant? by not caring if its there or not,by thinking about something else discarding if he also shows up on your head

it is a long road that takes much practise but it can be done
    you just have to try to live your life normally the best way you can
    throw yourself at your hobbies and the things you love to do,focus and it will go away at some point without a doubt

Thread Information