Thread: Citalopram side effects.

Citalopram side effects.

Hi newbie here,

I have had to go back on Citalopram for the second time after a year off it. I suffer with depression and anxiety.

I have been on it for 5 weeks, with all the usual side effects.

Most worryingly is constant urination, during the day and night. I am really getting concerned about this as I am loosing weight very rapidly. I am eating like a horse but I think the weight loss maybe due to me peeing so much.

I drink plenty of water, but in one end out the other.

The other bad symptom is insomnia, which I had last time but not as prolonged.

Just looking for any help or reassurance anyone can give me.

Thanks
    Sophie ☺ x

Re: Citalopram side effects.

I Sophie, I was a long term citalopramer until recently, if you are concerned, raise it with your GP when you next see them. Just make sure you are drinking plenty. It could also be that the more you are drinking, the more you are peeing if that makes sense - hence the in one end, out the other, I wouldn't worry so long as you aren't dehydrated

Welcome to the forums. I recently started citalopram for the 3rd time. I started it 3 weeks ago today, and I'm still finding it very tough - it seemed to work much quicker the first time round. I'm still suffering badly from insomnia and tiredness, and I'm still having lots of bad days where I feel anxious and depressed. Even on the OK days, I still don't feel like my usual self. If you read my diary thread you'll hear more about what I've been going through.

I haven't experienced the urination side effect so it's probably best to mention that to your doctor. The best reassurance I can give you is that it did work for me the second time round, although it took longer and the side effects seemed to last longer.

I think it is normal to have a suppressed appetite when starting these meds, so that could partly explain the weight loss.

We can support each other through this, so feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Hi Sparkle,

Thanks for your reply.

I am eating loads, that's why I think the weight loss is to do with frequent urination.
    Doctor seemed unconcerned, not feeling any benefits as yet from Citalopram.

Really struggling to put my mind to anything. Don't enjoy or look forward to anything.

CBT is not doing it for me as I can't seem to engage with it.

Best wishes
    Sophie ☺ x

I maybe completely wrong but reading various threads on SSRI anti depressants, Citalopram seems to crop up more than any of the other drugs in this group of anti depressants, yet reading just this thread it is stated that some of you are on it for the second or third time, so my conclusion is that perhaps it isn't doing it's job properly for you, as we all react differently to the same medication, so why take it .

Perhaps a different anti depressant maybe more beneficial.

Hi Sophie,

I know how you feel - most days I still struggle to put my mind to anything, and although I do get some enjoyment out of things, it's not as much as I used to get before I had this relapse last month. I also still find it difficult to look forward to the future. My CBT techniques stopped working for me too - they only seem to work for me when I'm feeling relatively stable. If I try to challenge my irrational thoughts when I'm feeling really anxious, it feels as if I can't get my subconscious mind to believe the rational challenges.

Ricardo, when I've been on citalopram before, it has always worked for me eventually. I've only had relapses when I've been off the medication. So I don't think the medication itself is the problem - in fact I probably shouldn't have come off it in the first place.

Hi Sparkle

in a way that is what I meant to add. if it works for whoever and then one comes off it invariably one gets a relapse.

Of course some anti depressants just don't agree with many people. Trial and error.

Personally it is too late for me, I am twice your age but I think over the years I have tried nearly every pill manufactured.

Citalopram probably crops up because its a commonly used one and without checking local trust costs I'll bet its one of the cheapest. The same with Sertraline. They are also first line, so people should be working their way through these until they reach meds actually aimed more at anxiety e.g. Pregabalin.

You don't get the "rebound" effect that Benzo's can cause but you can relapse because you aren't ready to come off them or later stresses mean your anxiety disorder starts again.

If you don't make all the corrections required to recover, they will likely be masking some level of anxiety which comes back once you withdraw or a bit later down the line. Correcting your thinking & behaviours has to be done or it just builds up again.

Its never too late, Ricardo. Neuroplasticity occurs throughout lifespan and the old model of the plasticity ceiling went out at the end of the last century. Just look at Davit.

Sophie - the side effect window can be 4-6 weeks so you are almost there. Can you give it until that period expires and see how you are?

The side effects you are experiencing are in the category to seek medical advice on as they are Less Common and Rare, but weight fluctuations do also appear in the ones where a doctor does not need to decide either.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/citalopram-side-effects.html

Can you safely continue for another week or so? I'm just thinking it would be a shame to have to switch to another as side effects are likely with all of them and at least you are nearly there with this one. They may go away and it may help you. It takes months before you feel the benefit of them and it will be after the side effect window ends.

Thread Information