Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hobbies and other positive activity.

Hobbies and other positive activity.

Well I didn't want it to be just gardening or my other hobby wood work so post what you do for hobby, hell post what makes you happy.

In summer I garden and in winter I do wood work, I will add pictures next time.

Re: Hobbies and other positive activity.

I do a fair bit of reading (mostly historical fiction, adventure, fantasy, etc), I walk daily and used to like doing this in the countryside, taking my dog for walks and playing with him is fun too. I have quite an interest in fermented foods and I'm gearing up to start fermenting my own probiotic drinks and maybe make some probiotic cheese.

I want to get back into drawing which I haven't done since school a couple of decades ago now! So, I've bought a book and some materials to see how it goes.

I would like to get into cycling as I used to love that when I was a kid and I'm not far from the countryside so I can get to some nice places. Struggling to find the space at the moment though.

I just realized all my best pictures are on my other computer which doesn't have google chrome.

It is cooler today which will help the cabbage transplants with shock. I'm going out shortly to transplant peppers to my little green house. Part of the bigger greenhouse is going to be fallow. Quack grass has got in and I need to dig it up. This year my potato patch is fallow and a third of the other garden. I put the potatoes in the garden this year. (300 hills) With a tiller on a tractor it only takes minutes to bury any weeds that come up. (in the fallow parts) Last year some thistle got missed and this year it has popped up proud. My garlic is very happy in a flower bed, happier than it has been anywhere else. I will put more in there this fall. Apples have set a lot of fruit so there will probably be a fruit drop as they do that. First time I saw the ground covered in little apples I was horrified, now I know it is necessary for big apples. I still have juice from last year. Black current bush is loaded, so are strawberries and raspberries. Elder berry bush set out new shoots and died.
    They do that when they get a certain size. I'll cut it down and give it some planer shavings to change the soil PH. Blue berries need that too. I kept the ground around the black berries clean so thistle has moved in there. Going to make a thistle tool, It is a piece of pipe with the end cut and ground to look like a narrow trowel that you push down beside the thistle and pry it out. A tree planting spade works good if the soil is light.

So off to get those peppers in so I can have my house back. There have been plants started inside since March. Peppers are the last to go out and I'm late by quite a bit at that.

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

I mix my compost into the little greenhouse beds. While cleaning it up for the peppers I found three peach seedlings and a Bells of Ireland and a big lettuce. Years ago I had two peach trees on their second year when I had to go to hospital. They never got watered so died. They would be producing now if they lived.

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

I make sauerkraut in 4 ltr glass jars on the counter. They hold eight pounds of shredded cabbage and it is ready in as little as eight days. Good stuff, not processed so it is crisp, not mush. I have made yoghurt cheese from goats milk when I had goats.

Davit has inspired me to make 2016 the year of the garden. I take a lot of pride in keeping my landscaping around my yard look like a golf course. I figure next year I'll take that extra step and work on a huge garden.

My other hobbies are playing guitar. I recently picked up a bass and learning something new always takes your mind off any existing worries. Recently I've been trying to force myself to learn new things at work, but frankly, I have no interest in it anymore. I much prefer doing house projects. My tastes have changed as I've gotten older.

I am just learning how to garden. It's hard enough for us to grow grass!!

I used to love music. I sing, play saxophone, and taught myself guitar. However over the years I stopped doing it for various reasons. I would like to be involved again and may look to join some local groups if I can find any.

It finally rained and so I can transplant raspberries if the ground is as wet as it looks. There are some coming up in the strawberries where they don't belong and lots under the apple trees. Some in the squash.

Mosquitoes are out now making life unpleasant. They come in when I let the cat in too. Every few years we get a bad mosquito summer and just live with it. Last two summers were good. I have a net and repellant. Still I don't like them. Soaker hose wasn't keeping up so this rain will have done the strawberry patch good. Five days of sun coming up. There will be lots of strawberries ripen. Using this wet time to clean house. Thinking about raspberry pie. I have a huge toad in my greenhouse, bet he likes the mosquitoes.

Yeah, I bet he does. He will probably enjoy munching on any slugs you have too.

Lots of vitamin C coming up for you then. Do you sell any of your fruit?

I love Gardening. Anything that is outside.
    I used to play piano and guitar; self taught like you SWgrl. Played semi-pro years ago, but too old now. But, love to listen to music.
    Used to draw, and like you Terry, I must start up again.
    Used to play snooker, but know where to go to do that.
    Love animals, have a cat which is like a dog.
    Walking, watching nature and star gazing.

p.s. Davit, I don't know what has happened to my lettuces, but they are growing outwards instead inwards????? But, my celery is doing really well.

Terry, I just give away any excess, There usually isn't much. Apples though I have too many and do give away quite a few.

Carnation, is it leaf lettuce not head lettuce. Even head lettuce like cabbage will have a lot of loose leaves before it makes a head. Early yet. Celery needs a lot of water, it doesn't do well here. Ends up hollow. Still the leaves are good.

Davit, they are Gem Lettuces. So I suppose that comes under a head.
    Each seed has produced about 6-8 leaves and they are bending outwards instead of curling inwards and meeting at a point at the top. The leaves look healthy, but I have never grown anything before, so I don't know what I should do with them. I have a bout 50 of them, in different stages.
    My celery is doing so well and I don't know why. My Mum said it is difficult to grow them and you are right they do need a lot of water. They take it everyday.
    I am proud of them.
    Tomatoes are doing well. And what do you know about broccoli?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information