Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hobbies and other positive activity.

Re: Hobbies and other positive activity.

Your lettuce is a long way from making heads, Broccoli needs a lot of room and will get about a meter tall. When you cut the head it will form more, cut off all but the best two new heads or just leave them. Green caterpillars from the white cabbage moth love them. I just pick them off.

You can cut some leaves off most of your lettuce and leave only a few to make heads. If lettuce grows too slow it gets bitter. bone meal will encourage root growth so they take up more food. Don't mulch close if your ground is wet, you will get slugs. Remove lower tomato leaves so they don't touch the ground. When they set fruit cut the stems that have just leaves back about half way. Remove the branches starting in the forks or you will have a jungle. Don't remove any fruit spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    And what do you know about broccoli?
    It's green and a good source of iron.

---------- Post added at 05:30 ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Davit View Post
    Don't mulch close if your ground is wet, you will get slugs.
    We have a pond so we get armies of the things. But we also get frogs so I would imagine a fair few get slurped by them. We get a couple of families of blackbirds too and I've seen them eating them. The empty snail shells have a lot of suspicious pointy impact points so they must be eating them too as I'm always finding loads of them.

I didn't know they ate slugs. Although I was once sitting by the pond and watched a bumblebee fall down the waterfall into the pond and within 2 seconds one of our fish had gobbled him up! I didn't know they ate them either but fish tend to eat pretty much anything, dead or alive, I guess.

Because of all the slugs, we have periods where they come under back door and leave trails in the kitchen. I've found that slug barrier gel prevents this 100%. Luckily the slugs aren't as adventurous as the snails...I've seen those up near the bedroom windows at times!

Copper reacts with there slime, they won't cross it.

Wow, I have a pond too. I don't have slugs that bad, Maybe one or two in a row in the garden mostly on cabbage or potatoes.

We tend to have some pretty fat frogs, at times.

We also live near a crossed over resourvoir, one of the underground ones, so we probably get hedgehogs coming through but we never seem to see any. They love slugs!

We get the copper tape in the garden centres around here, bit pricey though, Probably cheaper to bulk buy and make it.

My two hobbies which I really enjoy are writing and knitting. I write blogs on mental health (http://positive-mental-health.blogspot.co.uk/) and novels. When I'm in the midst of writing my novel I am very much in my happy place.

I started knitting when my mental health got bad, I could not go any further than garter stitches and scarves for a long time, now I knit toys for friends at work. Here's some of what I've done:

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

They're really good, Rennie. Loving the owls!!!

My mum knits a lot. She always makes baby clothes and then donates them to DMH to sell.

Thank you, although I still think that my owls are on narcotics o.O

That's honourable of her. I've thought about donating to the shop in the hospital where I work but they seem to be inundated in donated knitted toys and clothes. My colleagues are happy to pay for mine, which helps the purse!

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Davit, thank you so much.
    My lettuces are already huge! So, I will do what you said.
    The tomatoes plants are already junglised and I have been removing the new growth in between, but I will shorten the dead branches like you said.
    I am pleased you told me about the broccoli, I had no idea they needed a lot of room.
    Iron? I could with a lot of that at the moment.

Rennie, I love the owls.

Yeah, love the owls.

Going to check that site, sound interesting. I'm always gathering information.

Them owls are great

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information