Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Hobbies and other positive activity.

Re: Hobbies and other positive activity.

Davit, Sorry to hear about the heat there getting in the way of you working on your garden. I can't take the heat either anymore and have been inside the house with the a/c running this year.As for my new quilt I am not sure yet I am trying out a Log Cabin block for the first time so we will see. I may do a table top quilt this time for a oak table measuring 24" x 24". The Log Cabin block represents the heart of the home with the center being red representing the fire in hearth and the logs being fabric on either side of the hearth. one side being light fabric which represents the light from the fire in the hearth and the other side being dark fabric representing the shadows from the fire in the hearth. This block goes back for centuries. Anyway I am using red in the center with golds on one side and browns with a little red on the other from some fabric in my stash called the Red Rooster line. Some of it has chickens and lambs on it and some has birdhouses plus I will use various shades of brown and gold fabric for the logs too. Have you thought about working in your wood shop with a fan running this summer being that it is to hot to work outside? Woodworking is a very positive distraction and do seem to enjoy creating with this medium. You do create beautiful pieces.
    Last edited by newme; 05-07-15 at 19:02.

Wow. You are so talented davit. Love the candlesticks and the trivets.
    Do you sell them?

My shop is cool, it is in the basement. I'm okay for something to do, Email and PM keep me busy. It is though just as tiring as weeding. I really miss siting on the deck especially as the flowers are quite nice right now. Two roses died last winter, they were not for this area. My lawn mower died so I ordered a new one. It will not be here for a few more days. Grass is getting very tall. I can mow in the heat if I sit every few minutes. Hope to till beside the potatoes so I can hill them. There is a lot of horse tail from some hay I tilled under. Very invasive.

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

dally

No I give them away. A friend in derbyshire has some, there are some in parts of Canada and the US. My brother has quite a few and well we get power failures so I have some. My Therapist has my best work. I sent one to the first person to cure her Agoraphobia with my instruction. On the bottom I wrote, "now you don't have to live in the dark anymore".
    (she is still panic free after five years)

Wood work is fun. The lathe especially. I like to let what is in the wood come out. Hidden grain can be very unique.

I have only just saw that woodwork Dave, i want it all! i love the candlesticks.

---------- Post added at 18:18 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

I did woodwork in school and enjoyed it a lot but was never that good at it.

Keeping busy is good. Doing something you love is even better. I think we all need to take a little down time from the work and trials of daily life and never let ourselves forget to include some time in every day to give ourselves a little nurturing self care. I just cut my first piece of fabric, now if you pick up that first piece of wood I will be able to see your next creation.
    Now that's something I'm looking forward to my friend....Well it's back to my project I must go for a little self nurturing.
    Last edited by newme; 05-07-15 at 19:01. Reason: spelling

Davit, my tomato plants are fine.
    I have pulled off the dead leaves like you said.
    I think another day or two and I would have lost them.
    Counted at least 200 tomatoes in the making.
    I also made sure that I had a conveyer belt of tomato plants and staggered my planting times, so I have at least another 8 plants, plus the other 8 I moved over to my Mums. If all successful, I will probably have enough to supply a Greengrocers.

Carnation,

I'm very pleased to hear that. I have flowers coming is all so far but I will have tomatoes. They are Amana Orange. They can get as big as a slice of bread, are low acid and very meaty. Small seed pocket and very little water. Perfect for sandwiches. Ugly though. Look like small rough pumpkins. I only have eight.
    Raspberries are starting. Too hot to work today, so just turned the sprinklers on. Besides todays attack has upset me more than I expected and I should have expected it. Tonight I might just watch a movie.

That sounds a good idea. Try and get some rest.

There are posts I would answer but don't know what sort of welcome I'll get. Some I see no one answers and that makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Davit View Post
    Some I see no one answers and that makes me sad.
    Other people say that too and some just post to reassure although they state they don't know how to help so at least they don't feel ignored.

Some of the boards are very quiet, mostly OCD, Phobias, maybe Social Anxiety & Misc at times too. Its because the majority of people on here have HA or GAD really so those boards get a lot more traffic.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information