Thread: worst it's ever been

worst it's ever been

Forgive me, this is probably going to be very long. If you'd like, you can skip to the end for the most recent stuff that's been happening. Basically, right now I think I'm suffering from severe depersonalization and I have no idea what to do. I'm 18, I don't drink and I haven't smoked weed since last year because it gave me panic attacks. Here's the full story:

A few months ago after a horribly stressful time in my life, I began getting headaches. I constantly felt sick, tired and depressed. About a month later, I hardly ever wanted to get out of bed. I had headaches every day. I no longer cooked or cleaned or did much of anything. I began to get very paranoid about my health. I was constantly worried that I had a brain tumor or some kind of severe illness. Then one night, I had a bad panic attack that led to me constantly feeling foggy and out of tune with the world.

Every day I felt worse. I was constantly either panicking, crying or feeling like I was in a fog. Every single day I would wake up, feel okay for a couple hours, start to get anxious about my brain and either having a tumor or going crazy, and then I would cry for about half an hour and then feel much better but in a weird very calm and dream-like state. This lasted for about a week until I finally saw my doctor, who basically had no clue where my headaches or mental issues were coming from. He prescribed me antibiotics and the headaches went away. For about two days I felt mentally well and then I started having thoughts about losing my mind. Not just going crazy but literally losing my thoughts, forgetting things, becoming a vegetable. I had these thoughts again for about a week and eventually they got slightly better. I went a few days feeling normal and then, last week, things fell apart even worse. I constantly felt like I was in a fog. I was severely depressed and didn't want to do anything. I felt like I was just floating through life, unable to hold onto anything. Then I had a couple days were everything was - for the most part - actually good. I went to a concert and didn't have any anxiety at all. I felt good.

The next day I had a giant existential crisis. I couldn't stop realizing that I was a person. Every time someone talked to me I got scared because it made me feel too real. I ended up having the second worst panic attack of my life that night. I wanted to stop existing and I couldn't (I didn't want to kill myself, I just felt horrifically overwhelmed with life and being alive). I took an ativan and sat with my dad and cried until the meds kicked in and I went to sleep. Yesterday was off/on. I mostly felt very out of it and like I couldn't reconnect with myself. I had a small freak out and cried a lot and talked to a friend online because talking to people in real life was scaring me. I felt better for about half an hour, then felt out of it again. Every time I tried to "reconnect" with myself I would get the feelings of being overwhelmed and scared of existing. Eventually I just went to sleep.

Today has been the worst day so far. I've tried going out and doing things and talking to people and I feel braindead and confused and extremely detached from myself and everything around me. I have never felt like this before. I feel entirely unreal. Even typing this I feel like I'm writing a story rather than sharing my own memories. When I look in the mirror I feel like the face I see can't be mine. It looks so far away and wrong. My head feels completely empty. Every time I speak I feel like it's not really me who's talking. When I try to have conversations it's like I'm on autopilot. I feel so far away from myself and my head feels so empty. It's the worst its ever been and I can't figure out how to get back to myself. I keep thinking that I might be dying. The world seems to slide in and out of focus. I'm so out of it I can't concentrate. I can't connect with any of my memories; they all feel like someone else's or just inaccessible, like there's something blocking me from getting to them. I don't feel like I'm engaging with the world at all even though I know I am, like nothing is really happening even though I know it is. It feels like I'm becoming brain dead while fully conscious. I don't feel panicky. I don't really feel anything, honestly. I feel like I didn't even type this. I just really, really want this to end.

So, anyone have any advice for right now? I'm going to see a therapist hopefully soon but I just really need to snap out of this. I feel like I'm dying and it's horrific.

Re: worst it's ever been

Hi there
    I'm really sorry that you are going through such a tough time.
    I went through a period like this, it was very extreme anxiety which led me to a kind of existential crisis.
    It was soooo horrible and terrifying at the time but I got over it and I'm sure you will too.
    You have to find a way to focus outwardly. Also some form of sport really helps and following a strict routine (i.e. Getting up at the same time, doing sport, eating at the same time...) to allow your mind to rest.
    I hope your therapist is a good one and can offer you some help in getting through this.
    Sending you

Thanks sial.

Yesterday I went to the ER because I was having terrible facial pain plus really, really terrible depersonalization/derealization/brain fog and was afraid they were connected. They entirely ignored the depersonalization part and gave me... flonase. Literally. They also did a CT scan to check for a sinus infection, which made me feel a little better. No brain tumors or anything wrong there! One less thing to worry about, I suppose.

Anyway, while I was at the hospital I experienced something new - extreme derealization, to the point where I had to tell myself every few seconds that this was really happening because I felt like it was all a dream. For a good five minutes after getting out of the CT scan machine, I kept having thoughts that I was dreaming/having an out of body experience and any second I would wake up and still be in the CT machine. For the whole time after that I was so scared and nothing felt real, not myself or my surroundings or any of the people around me. I felt like my mind was going blank and it was just terrifying. On the way home I dissociated very badly and my dad convinced me to take an ativan.

Well, that was an interesting experience: depersonalization, derealization and an ativan high. I no longer felt any anxiety at all which was good, and I kept thinking "why don't I just do this all the time? This is awesome!" but I was still extremely dissociated. Like I was in my own little bubble and couldn't connect with the outside world, or myself really, but it wasn't bad because I no longer cared. I ended up feeling really drunk and going to sleep.

Today I've once again been experiencing very strong depersonalization AND derealization, but not much anxiety? I just feel numb, mostly. I also keep thinking about my life and my memories and the stressful things that have happened (which I believe have to do with what's happening now) and none of it really seems real, like my mind is trying to block it out but I know it happened. It's weird because I can write about it and talk about it when I'm in "autopilot mode" but when I really try to think about the things that happened, it feels like I'm remembering a dream.

It's just so weird because when I'm like this, as long as I'm not anxious, I can function fine but I feel like I'm not real/not thinking at all. And when I AM anxious about it, I actually feel like I'm thinking and real to some extent - I think the strong emotions snap me out of it a little - but I can't function at all. I'm not sure which is worse, functioning but feeling braindead and unreal, or being a total nonfunctional mess but at least feeling somewhat real and like I have my own thoughts.

Bluh. Again, I feel like I'm not even typing this right now. I haven't had any panic about being real/existing in a few days, probably because I just haven't felt real at all. Hopefully a therapist will call back soon and I can get back on the right track again, because this is just bizarre and really uncomfortable.

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

+Sorry all of these are so long, when I'm like this I feel like I always end up rambling and saying way too much because my brain is just kind of spitting out the first things that come to mind.

Its a known fact, not much people read long rambling posts when a few words will do.

Don't worry about long rambling posts Dev0id, sometimes just typing everything out helps. If you have a need to write then do, some if us will read it and you will benefit from writting it.

Omg, I feel the same way. Been like this for days, but did not realize how acute this was until my bf returned home today and I just cannot be present with him. Overcome feeling guilty for not being present, now feeling what I can describe as sad (but don't actually feel it) at not being able to get out of the fog. I started Mirtazapine 7 days ago and never had such acute experiences of this before. Don't know what to do - my next psych appointment is in two weeks. Don't know whether to take Mirtazapine again and sleep it out (only to wake up to more of the same?) or what to do (quit? wake bf up to talk about it?)

Gladly, this does not bring me to panic, but makes flu-like symptoms more prominent (but I definitely don't have flu)

Quote Originally Posted by thisisnotwhoiam View Post
    Omg, I feel the same way. Been like this for days, but did not realize how acute this was until my bf returned home today and I just cannot be present with him. Overcome feeling guilty for not being present, now feeling what I can describe as sad (but don't actually feel it) at not being able to get out of the fog. I started Mirtazapine 7 days ago and never had such acute experiences of this before. Don't know what to do - my next psych appointment is in two weeks. Don't know whether to take Mirtazapine again and sleep it out (only to wake up to more of the same?) or what to do (quit? wake bf up to talk about it?)

Gladly, this does not bring me to panic, but makes flu-like symptoms more prominent (but I definitely don't have flu)
    If you didn't have this before, I suggest checking your medication on Drugs.com because it could be a side effect.

Also, posting a thread on the Mirt board would get some some replues specific to it from people that are on it or have used it before.

Thread Information