Thread: Numb/weak right hand and leg

Numb/weak right hand and leg

I am 20 years old and recently started to have health anxiety after having an episode of racing heart and muscle spasms out of the blue one night. That was three months ago and I haven't felt back to normal ever since.

The main thing I am so terrified of is a brain tumor. My pupils are sometimes different sizes and I have seen several doctors about many symptoms including nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness, fatigue, blurred vision, etc. The nausea and dizziness have subsided as of recent, but my right hand and wrist have felt numb/weak since yesterday. My right leg also feels weak. Even as I type this, I keep missing keys with my right hand. The vision in my right eye is also slightly blurry. This scares me especially because whenever my pupils are different sizes, it's my right eye that is bigger.

I have my first ever appointment with a neurologist on the 22nd, but I am so scared of what they could find.

Re: Numb/weak right hand and leg

When you say weak, what do you mean? Like numb? Are you able to lift your arm above your head and hold it there for 30 seconds? I'll reiterate the point I made earlier that I do think a visit to a neuroligist is what you need, but I'm beginning to think your initial fears over your pupils are causing you to have physical symptoms of anxiety and stress. There's probably an element of hyper-awareness in there as well.

Do a few things just now that may give you a bit of reassurance. Stand up straight and close your eyes. Stretch both arms out in front of you and then bring your right hand to your nose. Can you touch it with your eyes closed?

Now try to stand on your right foot only and hold it for about ten seconds. Are you swaying or going off balance?

If you can, lay on your back. Bring your right foot up and make it touch your left knee. Try to run the heel of your right foot down your left shin and to your ankle. Does your foot roll off of your shin or are you able to run it toward your ankle quite easily?

Do these and let me know how they go.

Gary, yes I can do all of those things. It's very mild weakness and numbness, but like if I dig my nails into the skin on my hand or leg I can definitely feel the pain, so they aren't that numb. I would describe it as more weakness than numbness.

Your co-ordination and balance seem ok, and the weakness could be literally anything, even tired muscles.

Thread Information