Thread: feeling of skipped heartbeats

feeling of skipped heartbeats

Hi, does anyone gets like skipped heartbeats with your anxiety? This seem like a new symptom for me. Just went to the ER for this yesterday and they did the ECG but thinks its probably nothing. Its not constant, just a few seconds randomly.... i just feel that my heart suddenly stop for a split second den its all normal...... Will be good to have some reassurance.

I did have a stress test and a echocardiogram done but that was 8 years ago and it was all normal. Does that means my heart is ok, or could i have developed something along the way? I am 30yrs old by the way... quite freaking out this random few seconds sensation....

Re: feeling of skipped heartbeats

Hi, yes I get these often. I've been to the emergency dept and had EKGs done twice with results being ok both times. They show the skipping beats but the doctors aren't worried. The skipped beats definitely get worse if I focus on them. They're scarey I know, and this is hard to do but try to not give them too much attention. I tell myself that they won't hurt me, they're just a nuisance.

The fact that this symptom has it's own heading shows just how common it is. Everyone, anxiety or not gets a palp now and again but anxiety sufferers, due to the fact that their bodies are releasing more adrenaline than normal and are under constant stress tend to experience this more. Many here have been checked up and down, worn 24 hour monitors and tested multiple times but there's nothing sinister going on.

There are meds that can help (beta blockers) and they also help with anxiety but treating the real issue (anxiety) is key in treating the symptoms.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

HEART PALPITATIONS!! Those used to scare the shit out of me. The medical staff at the local hospital gave me some very mild pills known as beta blockers. Nothing intense. It's not a highly regulated psych med or pain killer. In fact, actors use them to calm their nerves before going on stage.
    If the symptom really bothers you, you might consider them. I only used mine a few times, but I don't recall any side effects.

I am always getting those. they were acknowledge on a 7-day holter monitor I wore last year, and in the report the physician said that they appeared 'innocent'. This, to a rational person, should be reassuring and a que to shrug them off, but to me (!) that is easier said than done! So I can totally understand your worries.

I had an echocardiogram and a stress test last year, the results were normal. I still get the 'skipped' beats. It's so difficult to accept them to be normal when they feel so intense and frightening! But I try to see them as just a pest rather than a danger.

x

Thread Information