Thread: Mohs micrographic surgery

Mohs micrographic surgery

I just had mohs surgery for basal cell carcinoma followed by plastic reconstruction surgery on my face on Tuesday. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this surgery and what their experience with surgery and recovery was like? As for me it has been a very frightening experience and I may have to go back in for more reconstruction in a few months. I HOPE they are better at giving the general anesthetic next time around. I had nightmares from it last night and got up a 3 a. m. this morning. So I would say I am in a state of anxiety and panic about the whole process right now. My face looks so ugly right now. I get my stitches out on Tuesday. The total healing process takes several months not to mention the pain involved. I hope it looks and feels better as time goes on. Right now ice packs are my best friend. I can not even put my eyeglasses on so reading and sewing as a positive distraction is out for now or driving because one does need to see where they are going to drive a car. No heavy exercise or sun either. This is not helping my anxiety issues..I am very scared...
    Last edited by newme; 14-06-15 at 04:23. Reason: grammer errors

Re: Mohs micrographic surgery

After 17 surgeries all I can say is I probably know what you are going through, anxiety and all. That doesn't make it easier does it. Terry posted some mindfulness links, maybe they will help you. I think if you search mindfulness here they should come up.

Thanks Davit. I knew I could count on you to come to my rescue with some sympathy and helpful advice. I'll check out the mindfulness. We sure have through a lot of stuff together over the years and have been true friends for many years now. I value that friendship more than you will ever know.

"Semper Fi" My Dear Friend..

Your forever friend...Red
    Last edited by newme; 14-06-15 at 06:01.

You know the hell I have been through and I survived. You will too because you are just as tough as me. We are survivors. A couple of months will go by and you will spread those butterfly wings and fly again. If you can't sew and can't quilt you can still plan.
    Here for you as always, your friend Davit.

From what I read here mindfulness can give you inner peace. I'm going to study it even though I'm free a person can never be to free.

Newme,

I hope you are feeling better today.

My mother has had about 5 of the same surgeries on her face. One was on her eyelid into the corner of her eye and it was for basal cell carcinoma as well. Last year she was 73 when she had the one on her eyelid. There are very fine scars especially around her nose because it was reconstructed completely after the cancer was removed when she was 72. You can't see the scars sitting across table from her. You have to get very close to see them. I'm sure yours will heal as well.

I understand how afraid you are. I am going through something similar and have not been on either site often because I'm trying to keep my mind preoccupied and the panic at bay. My days are filled with what can I do to keep my mind quiet, my anxiety low and not freak out per say. I am doing mindfulness based techniques now and they do help. I've also tried a few new recipes and found lots to do inside and found a few projects to keep me busy until the end of the month.

I know you can get through this. You and Davit are my inspirations. You can pm me anytime you need a hug or a friend.

IBS-D, Bile Salt Diarrhea, GAD, Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia, COPD, Sinus tachycardia and the list goes on...

Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what it is still possible for you to do.

Pope John XXIII

Hi PanicAttackGurl...I don't post a lot either on either site just like you. I have been busy trying to distract myself too. It is getting harder to do though. I find I am screaming on the outside now not just the inside but I find that the internal screaming is the worst kind.

Update: I saw my surgeon this morning. I was pleasantly surprised. It went very well. We have a plan. I will see him again in 6 weeks. This is the first time I have had a surgeon stand by his work and me in decades. He is in his seventies and very old school in the way her cares for his patients. So for now I am relieved and confident that he will stand by his work and me and we will see this through to the end. So for now I will take a deep breath, let myself relax and take it one day at a time until then.

So do you have more surgeries or just checks now? You sound very good. Very positive.

That's good to hear. How is the healing coming along?

I tried to send you a private message to give you my personal email address but it wouldn't let me.

Stay positive

IBS-D, Bile Salt Diarrhea, GAD, Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia, COPD, Sinus tachycardia and the list goes on...

Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what it is still possible for you to do.

Pope John XXIII

Quote Originally Posted by Davit View Post
    So do you have more surgeries or just checks now? You sound very good. Very positive.
    Hi Davit..we are not sure yet. We have to let the repair establish its self for 6 to 8 week before we can do additional surgery to finish the repair.

---------- Post added at 21:42 ---------- Previous post was at 21:30 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PanicAttackGurl View Post
    That's good to hear. How is the healing coming along?

I tried to send you a private message to give you my personal email address but it wouldn't let me.

Stay positive
    Hi panicattackgurl...Thanks for showing your concern. I am on the mend. I de-activated private messaging and email on my account when I set up my account that is why you could not send a private message to me. Private messaging and email is not something I am ready to do right now. I am sure you will understand. Talk to you again soon when I am able.
    Last edited by newme; 17-06-15 at 20:58.

Thread Information