Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am beginning writing

Re: I am beginning writing

That sounds really fun! I read The Lottie Project where a school girl had to write a project on Victorian children so she wrote it in the form of a diary of a Victorian servant girl. It almost mirrored her life in terms of challenges she faced. So the first chapter was about herself, then the next was on her Victorian self, then back to her life and so on. It was a lovely read and it was my first favourite book at the time.

Novels do not have to be written all in third person in a linear or chronological way, my current novel switches between the past and present and I've read books set in this way. Once you find a format that works for your story it becomes a whole lot more enjoyable to write.

I have a storyline in the pipeline where I plan to write it in first person, like a diary, but in the present tense, rather than the past tense which third person books are generally written in. It becomes quite difficult once you leave the comfort zones, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Good luck

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

The Lottie Project sounds interesting! A friend of mine recommended me The Perks of being a Wallflower which I should be receiving soon. I'm open to any other epistolary novel suggestion. I don't know many.

I think the best thing about it is that because each 'letter' is self contained like a mini story which would make the process easier. I could even send each 'letter' back to myself via post. I probably wouldn't anyway but I guess it would be fun.

Why not? It could help inspire you more. Think of the anticipation of waiting for the postman and the excitement of receiving the letter. Or trepidation, depending on what you write.

Its worth a try

On my next bit of time off I'll start to write more and I'll let you know how I'm getting on.

Hope your writing is taking off!

I've just finished reading my novel and I've sent the manuscripts to my mum and father-in-law. I feel so exposed!

I hope your novel turns out really well Rennie!

At the moment I'm still struggling through it, but perhaps I should give it a rest for a week or two and then get back to it.

Hi Rinzai,
    Sounds like you're on the right track now you have a definite plan of action. Don't worry about it not being 'polished' - like I think someone else said - you can always do the fine tuning later. More important to start getting it all down. Best of luck, and I look forward to hearing about the finished book!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information